Daughter's Birthday Quilt

I made a special quilt for my daughter birthday. I made this quilt design myself.

1. I cut 8x8 inch squares, 88 squares in all, to fit a twin size bed.
  2. Ad

3. I sewed them together with a 1/4 inch seam allowance for each square to make 8 rows across. I made 12 rows in all. Then I added the rows together.
  4. I then made a pinwheel applique and added the yo-yo for a flower in the middle of the pinwheel.
  5. I then made the outside border from scraps left over from the quilt. I cut 3 inch strips, sewed them together and attached to quilt.
  6. I cut the backing of the quilt much larger from the top quilt, about 1 inch more.
  7. Finally I added the twin size quilt batting between the top layer and bottom layer of the quilt, forming a sandwich. I pinned all of the quilt top (or baste) and then I rolled the edge of the quilt, pinned and sewed 1/4 inch on all four areas of the quilt.
  8. I finally finished adding the yo-yos to the pinwheels.
  9. The pillow case is reversible as well and I added a bed skirt with the same blocks. I measured all corners of her bed and voila! This is her birthday quilt set from Mom.

By Maria from Somerville, MA

Young girl sitting on her bed with birthday quilt.

Oh that is gorgeous and she looks so proud of it! What a neat job you did- I love it!

What a beautiful quilt. How lucky your little girl is to have such a talented, caring mom. I'll bet she'll have this quilt forever.

I am sure your daughter is so happy to have been give such a nice gift. My Mom is a quilter and I absolutly cherish everything she has made for me.

Awesome job!!

How long did it take you to make the quilt?

I want to attempt one made with denim squares but I do not have a lot of sewing experience and zero quilting experience - any tips for me?

Nine patch block and tools for quilting.
Making a Patchwork Quilt
Crafts Quilting PatchworkAugust 22, 2007
daddy daughter dance ideas
Planning a Daddy Daughter Dance
Mother Daughter Tea
Planning a Mother Daughter Tea
Up close photo of quilt binding.
Binding a Quilt
Paper pieced quilt top, endless chains pattern.
Making a Paper Pieced Quilt