Removing Smoke Smell from Clothing

I need to clean a white dress that has been hanging in my closet and has smoke damage from the fireplace. Any suggestions?

By Josephine from Winterville, GA

Best Answer

Try using white vinegar in the laundry. This will take out any residue of smoke in the clothes.

Best Answer

We had a house fire and the insurance company sent in the pros in to help us with smoke damage. The first thing they did was hook up a huge ozone machine to remove the smoke smell from the carpeting and furniture. But when it came to clothing and other machine washables, they told us to pour one can of regular Coca-Cola (with sugar, not diet) into the wash with each load and it worked! All of the nasty smoke smell came out of our clothes. This also works with camping clothes and even with clothes from cigarette smokers.

If you can't wash your item in the machine, try Vanilla Febreze. It has a light scent that's not overwhelming. Be sure to spray the front and back then turn the garment inside out & do the front & back again, then hang dry.

If you can get your hands on a good ozone based home air cleaner then that's the ticket! Run the ozone based air cleaner in a small room (like a bath room) with your dress hanging from the shower bar.

I use 1 of 2 things. 1 is a product called Odor Check put out by Watkins. It works like a charm. 2 is Febreze. I use it on every thing including my truck (inside).

Good luck.

There was a family in my church whose house burned and they used Tide with Febreze to wash their clothes after trying other things and said that the Tide with Febreze seemed to work better than anything and really recommended it. You might try that.

I know this works well with cigarette smoke smell, so you can give it a try. If you live in a cold climate you can hang the dress in an unheated garage. The cold will help release the smell that is in the dress.

Take it to the dry cleaners.

My Father-In-Law was a Fire Marshall for five counties in Minnesota. I am sorry I can't remember the tricks he taught me back then (have had 6 strokes) but no one knows better how to remove smoke damage and smells like Firemen or the State Fire Marshall's Office. Give them a call. They are great guys and I'm sure they will have tons of experience and advice. Merry christmas!

Try washing them with BON-CC-41!

http://www.biow  odor-neutralizer

I add it to my laundry and use it around the house quite a bit!

Smoke from a house fire coming from under a door.
Removing Smoke Smell from Clothing
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsDecember 5, 2009
Cleaning Smoke Stains from Walls
Cleaning Smoke Off Walls
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
Men's leather winter boots.
Removing Smoke Odor from Leather Boots
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 16, 2017 at 4:21:19 AM on 10.0.1.203 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.