Making Fresh Flower Wedding Arrangements

I make silk flower arrangements. I have been asked to do a fresh flower wedding in August; is there a big difference?

By Cindy from Middletown, DE

Best Answer

Huge difference! Fresh is much harder! It is hot in August and fresh flowers are very perishable. Roses that are buds when you start are opening and dying within hours so unless you have a cooler to store them in you have to get and arrange flowers the day of the wedding. You can not bend stems any way you like as you would with silks. If you cut a fresh flower stem and it is too short, you are stuck with it and it is wasted. With a silk you can simply extend the wire stem by taping on a longer wire. Unless you have a wholesale source fresh flowers are expensive. You are also limited to the actual colors of the flowers. Don't forget that you will need oasis, waterproof containers, corsage and boutonniere bags and pins. Just FYI, Costco does sell special order arranged wedding flowers.

Best Answer

Lindal is right. I am also a silk wedding flower provider. You also have to consider shipping costs, and most fresh flower arrangements can only be made up within 72 hours of the event.

Refrigeration and changing out water is key. Plus you'll need floral foam versus styrofoam.

It could be real headache. I don't take on fresh clients. I just don't have the needed staff and refrigeration to properly handle these types of request.

Good luck!

Woman Making a Floral Arrangement
Making a Floral Arrangement
Weddings FlowersMarch 7, 2011
Finished Rain Boot Flower Arrangement
Creative Flower Arrangements
Beautiful flower arrangement at a grave site.
Making Grave Site Floral Arrangements
Colorful Bridal Bouquets
Choosing Wedding Colors
Flower Girl Smiling in Front of Bride and Groom
Frugal Flower Girl Tips