Browsing: Trimming Your Dog's Nails

Clip Your Pets Nails: Dogs, Cats, and Birds

Learn to clip your dogs, cats, or birds nails. Invest in a good set of clippers (around $7.00-$12.00) from your veterinarian. It will save you the cost of an office visit. Pet stores that offer grooming probably have instruction folders on the procedure, or try the internet for "how to" sites.

By Laurel

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

I agree this is a great way to save money. While at the pet store, get a bottle of "stop-quik" or a similar product. This is to stop bleeding if you should cut the nail too short. It is a powder that you apply with a Q-tip, and the bleeding stops. I've been grooming dogs for years, & I still get one too short every once in while.

Good instructions for trimming their nails is very important, so please do not neglect to be informed before running the risk of hurting (traumatizing) your baby. If you ever hurt them, they don't trust you anymore and they don't want you to touch their feet.

Some pets have died of infections which developed when their nails were cut into the "quick", and you would never forget such a painful experience of knowing you could have prevented it had you taken the time to know what you were doing.

You can do this. It's very easy to take care of your pets at home, just take the time to learn how to do it properly before ever doing it the first time. It can be made into part of a little game almost, and they never mind it. Goes right along with the pleasure of being brushed and having their teeth brushed.

Don't forget to keep cuttlebones in bird cages so they can keep their own beaks whittled down. Chew sticks work for some animals in the same way.

Clipping bird's wings is sometimes necessary, but you need to learn how to do that properly as well, or your bird can bleed to death.

When difficult financial times come around, it's necessary to know how to take care of some of our own animals' needs ourselves instead of paying someone else to do it for us.

Great tip. Thumbs Up.

Pookarina

This is the face of a happy cat. :-) Sir Catty-Kit

Yes, learn how to do it right, you don't want to cut them too close & nip the quick, and there's a difference if you clip them from top to bottom or from side to side. Get a good pair of clippers, not something cheap that just shatters the nail. I have a pair of pet nail clippers that has a little vial of the stop-quik powder built right into the handle for easy access. If your pet panics at 1st, just do a couple of nails at a time until they learn you aren't trying to torture them. If they'll take it, offer them a treat with each nail you clip-my dog won't take the treat,I think she's convinced I'm trying to poison her also! LOL!

I could never do it; my dachshund will bite me. It's hard enough giving him a bath; he doesn't like the water.

Trimming Your Dog's Nails, A person using dog nail trimmers.
Trimming Your Dog's Nails
Pets GroomingJuly 12, 2004
orange tabby resting its head on a sleeping dog
Raising Cats and Dogs Together
Mancured Hand Holding Flower petals
Saving Money on Acrylic Nails
ribbon and balloon hair clip
Making a Birthday Hair Clip
Photo of a woman's hands with acrylic nails on.
Applying Acrylic Nails
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 1, 2016 at 1:22:48 PM on 10.0.0.168 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.