Painting Bathroom Tiles

How do I paint bathroom tiles?

By Ccruz2010 from Watertown, WI

You can try asking how to questions at places like Home Depot or Lowes. Don't know if this will be helpful but I found this in the ThriftyFun Archives:

"When we moved to this house, the wall tiles were beige colored. I painted them dark red. We used a special primer, then 2 coats of ordinary Dulux Satinwood paint and topped it with clear satin varnish. Just make sure the tiles are thoroughly clean before you start! Also we used a small roller to give a really nice smooth finish. The colour, I think, was from the National Trust for Scotland range. I don't know if you'd get satinwood if you are in the States, but it is a very low gloss (satin finish) paint mainly for wood and metal. We used it on a radiator in our last home. (03/29/2009) By skinnyjinny"

If the tiles are glazed, you must sand them first to remove the glaze. A good hand sander and 80 or 60 grit is good to use. Sand off the glaze. Next, use a good primer thinned with water if latex, or paint thinner if oil based. Use this for the first coat. The next coat is another coat of primer, use primer without thinning it. Then apply at least two coats of paint.

If your primer is latex based, use a latex paint. If primer is oil based use an oil based paint. I would suggest a high gloss paint, it will keep the bathroom bright. You also want to use paint made for bathroom use as it is designed to be used in a humid area.

January 10, 2011 Flag

I would like to paint over bathroom wall tiles. Can that be done? If so, how do I prep the tiles?

By Tazz from Gwynn Oak, MD

Answers:

Painting Bathroom Tiles

I posted this a while back. I added the instructions for painting the tiles in feedback at the bottom. thriftyfun.com Hope this helps. (03/01/2010)

By skinnyjinny

Home and Garden Home Improvement AdviceJanuary 10, 2011
Removing Moss from Asphalt Roof Tiles
Removing Moss from Asphalt Roof Tiles
Cleaning Bathroom Mirrors, Reflection in a mirror of boy drying his hair with a blow dryer.
Cleaning Bathroom Mirrors
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet, Plumber Replacing Bathroom Faucet
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet
Ceramic Floor Tile
Fixing Cracks in Ceramic Floor Tile
🎄