Smoke Detectors Beeping

I recently changed the batteries in 3 hard wired smoke detectors. After about 1 day (happened twice) they all go off at the same time. Any advise please? By the way I tried holding the test button down with the batteries out but no luck.

By Chuck

Best Answer

Most hardwired smoke detectors have a signal wire which tells all to sound when one goes off. I would take one out at a time, they usually twist on their base and have a plug in connector. When you find which is causing the problem you will probably need to replace it with the same or a compatible model. The other possibility is that when you changed the battery you dislodged some dirt which worked its way into the sensing chamber and causes the false alarm. Gently vacuuming out the detectors may solve the problem.

Sometimes, according to my electrician, heat and high humidity can set them off.

Dave was correct, one of my alarm was dead and short circuited the (common) signal wire causing all my other six alarms to beep continuously. Once identified and replaced the faulty one, all other alarms became silent (it wasn't a battery problem, no battery have been replaced).