Color Bled on White Clothing

I soaked my white shirts along with my red and black shirts. The white shirts have stains of red and black. Can you please give me any suggestions to remove the stains?

Best Answer

(submitted via email)

The supermarket sells RIT in a small bottle or small pack. Usually on the top shelf. This is great for fixing mixed dyes. Easy and cheap too.

November 13, 2008 Flag

My nephew is staying with us for the week. I washed his red towel with our clothes and it bled into the white parts of our colored clothes. I was wondering how I could get the pink out of the white parts without ruining the color on the rest of the clothing! Any info would be great. Thanks everyone.

Angela from Brooks, AB

October 25, 2007 Flag

I washed a black bag that leaked dye onto my white clothes, how can I get the whites clean and get the dye out?

Wendy from Florida

Color Bled on White Clothing

This happened to my brother's shirts! ALL his white shirts turned pink. All of them since he wore them all this week. It's already been a few days since we washed them and we put them back in the drawers already, is it too late to use these methods? (01/16/2007)

By cw

Color Bled on White Clothing

Just go buy RIT Stain Remover at your local fabric store. It is a miracle worker, you can get the dyes right out of all those white clothes! This product is only $1.99 and it will save all your clothes! I love it and use it anytime I have laundry accidents. It is one of those products you can't live without! (07/18/2007)

By Lindsey

Color Bled on White Clothing

I washed a new white duvet cover that is hand-embroidered around the edges with colored thread. The thread bled into the white areas. Any ideas? (09/08/2007)

By Brian

Color Bled on White Clothing

I had a red and white outfit that I washed and the red ran all over the white. I rewashed the outfit right away in oxyclean "baby" (because that is what I had) and the red was all out! (10/23/2007)

By Nicole Berry

January 12, 2007 Flag

I washed some white clothing with my girlfriends red dress, how do I remove the pink colouration from the clothing without destroying the other colours on my shirt?

Neville from Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Color Bled on White Clothing

Try washing it again as usual, but add a cup of white vinegar to the wash water. I'm not sure if this will remove your red bleeding, but it will work in the future if you use this method to wash any item that is at risk of bleeding.

By Cheapo

Color Bled on White Clothing

What worked for me was soaking the item in cold water with only Clorox bleach for colors. Wring it out and let it sit for a while before washing. After I took it out, I had actually forgot about the item until the next day--but the stain was gone. (01/11/2007)

By kghsave

January 8, 2007 Flag

I had a mishap with the washing machine. I accidentally washed something pink with an off-white tank top and jacket which are now slightly pink. How do I get the pink out of my clothing?

Starrling from Tempe, AZ

Color Bled on Karate Suits

Soak for 24 to 48 hours in Napisan or other brand of baby napkin, (diaper) or laundry soaker. Ensure it says its safe for coloured articles on the label.

By Jo Bodey

Color Bled on White Clothing

Sometimes all I have to do when red clothes bleed into whites or lights is... simply re-wash the stained clothing in the machine with a bleach-alternative detergent. (as in XYZ Detergent with Bleach Alternative). Often it works for me if done immediately. (01/24/2006)

By kidsNclutter

Color Bled on White Clothing

The Rit Dye folks make a Color Remover that you might try. I think it's less than $2 a box. (01/25/2006)

By Claudia-MD

Color Bled on White Clothing

Sometimes just re-washing the stained items works! Also, hanging out in the sun. Or, soaking (or re-washing) in water with some bleach added. Last resort, Oxy cleaner, sometimes it works, sometimes not; or rubbing alcohol if the stains are localized enough to use a q-tip, but it could remove the base color too.

Warning - I used the special dye remover made for removing colors that have bled onto colored items (my stained items were all whites except one blouse that had a pale blue base), and it removed all of the blue color from my blouse, and then transferred it to the other clothes all over again, dying everything. Thankfullly that "dye job" was weak and the sun bleached most of it out. (07/07/2006)

By Anna

Picture of a red striped shirt in a washer.
Removing Dye Transfers from Clothing
Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsNovember 13, 2008
Blue-Green Carpet
Paint Color to Coordinate With Blue-Green Carpet
White tank top with black trim.
Whitening Multi-Colored Clothing
Washing Machine
Cleaning Fabric Dye from Inside a Washer
Woman with White Hair
Caring for White Hair