Ice Maker Not Working After Repairman Left

I just had my refrigerator fixed. After the technician left, the ice-maker was not working. My home owners warranty does not cover the repair for the ice-maker, the technician is telling me, that if he comes out to service it, the cost will start with $95 for the call, and then he can't say what he will have to replace. Can anyone offer advice?

Trinigirl from Middle River, Md

did it work before he came out ? I would tell them that (if it did) you aren't paying for a service call when it worked before he did his repairs

and if this is so tell them you will report them to the better business bureau

Maybe the repairman disconnected your ice maker. If it worked previous to him working on the frig, then he must have done something.

Remove the ice maker bin that holds the cubes and then shove/slam it back into place. It may seem to be in place, but if it isn't solidly where it belongs, it won't work. This happened to us.

There is a bar that you can raise or lower for more ice or to stop the ice making. Make sure the bar is in the down position.

Make sure the ice in the freezing trays hasn't overflowed and can't pop into the bin because it's stuck in place. If this is the case, try smacking any piece off that protrudes from the tray with your hand. Turn the maker to off and let a few days pass, turn the maker bar on and see if any of it pops out.

We had the situation in which the ice cube trays became too full of water, froze over and couldn't pop out. After a few days, the cubes shrank, I removed some of the larger chunks which were sticking up like a fin and got it working. Also told DH to turn down the water pressure to the ice maker. There is a mini faucet type fixture in the back of the fridge for this function.

Make sure the water connection is turned on and the hose is not crimped shut that leads to the fridge from the wall.

Good luck.

If it worked before the repairman was there, and no longer works, then a little phone call to his boss is in order.

Homeowner's insurance policies are funny. They will not fix a broken appliance, but usually repair anything the appliance might have broken! Do you have an extended warranty on your home appliances and hot water heater, since you bought it, or are you referring to a simple homeowners insurance that covers the roof in hail damage?

If it were me, I'd write the insurance company and tell them that your refrigerator was repaired at your expense, if it was, and that the refrigerator broke, damaging the ice-maker, if it did. Perhaps the repairman did not fully understand what you told him, what you were asking, or perhaps you are not fully understanding the warranty or insurance coverage? There is usually a large deductible, the amount the owner pays from their pockets first, in each claim, which can vary from hundreds of dollars to over a thousand, depending upon what you agreed to and signed up for. God bless and help you. : )

I had the ice cubes freeze after they had been lifted a almost all of the way out of the ice maker.

You don't dare force anything so I used a hair dryer to heat the frozen surface. The ice cubes flew everywhere.

I also noticed the water in the ice making tray was liquid.

I would say this was an indication the heater was working.

Make sure the water supply is getting through to the ice maker?

Remove the filter as a test?

I guess one could go on and on??

Good Luck

Consumer Advice General AdviceAugust 29, 2007
Kenmore Refrigerator's Ice Maker Won't Stop Making Ice
Refrigerator's Ice Maker Not Making Ice
Crushed Ice
Ice Maker Only Dispensing Crushed Ice
Ice Maker
Ice Maker Not Dispensing Ice