Decorating Advice For Fireplace

I recently bought 2 bundles of dried reeds that I would like to place on both sides of my fireplace. The reeds are about 8 feet in height, and each bundle is 10 inches in diameter. I need some sort of container to hold each bundle and am guessing whatever container I use will have to be at least 30 inches high. The style of my livingroom is casual contemporary. I have considered both baskets and glass vases, but they are SO expensive, any ideas on what I can use would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

carie from newport beach, ca

Go on down to the Home Depot or such and get concrete form tubes. They come is assorted diameters and lengths. Cover these with coordinating fabric and have a wonderful time!

CHECK AT YOUR LOCAL DOLLAR STORES FOR LARGE VASES; OR IF YOU HAVE A PRETTY WINE BOTTLE, PAINT IT THE COLOR OF YOUR DECOR IN THE ROOM, TIE A PRETTY RIBBON OR RAFFIA AROUND THE BOTTLE; PLACE YOUR REEDS IN THE VASE OR BOTTLE.

MY DAUGHTER FOUND SOME BEAUTIFUL WHITE LARGE BOTTLES AT OLD TIME POTTERY; SHE PUT CURLY STICKS IN THEM AND PLACED THEM ON HER MANTLE; IT IS SIMPLE BUT ELEGANT. THE BOTTLES WERE ABOUT $5.00 A PIECE. THE CURLY STICKS WERE PURCHASED AT THE DOLLAR STORE FOR $1.00 A BUNCH.

Concrete round drain tubes would be heavy and cheap, I think they would look good just spray painted dark brown or dark blue.

I think an old milk can would be cute.

Bobbi

How about using PVC pipe? It's cheap and you can decorate them however you like. Paint, cover with fabric, wall paper, etc.

You can also get PVC piping fairly cheaply at the Home Depot or Lowe's. It comes in a variety of dimensions. Then you can paint it to match your decor.

Or, you could take several of the LARGE coffee cans, cut both top and bottom out, tape them together with some sturdy tape, then paint over them and decoupage/decorate them to match your decor.

God Bless,

Sheila in Titusville, FL

Check out chimney 'flues' which are terracota-colored and about 20" tall and 10" across. They are heavy enough to stand on their own. You might find them at Home Depot or Lowe's or a contractors' supply place.

Good luck!

Nancy in Florida

Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Living RoomJuly 4, 2007
Logs burning in a fireplace.
Cleaning Your Fireplace
Decorative Fireplace
Making a Decorative Fireplace
Fireplace
Homemade Fireplace Cleaner Recipes
Feng Shui Decorating, Feng Shui Decorating
Feng Shui Decorating
🎄