Gift Ideas for Newlyweds

Here are a few of my favorite wedding and shower gift ideas:

• For a unique wedding gift, gather kitchen tools or spices, put them in a small wicker basket, bowl, baking dish etc. and wrap the whole thing is a couple of tea towels. Make the bow out of another tea towel of a different color by wrapping around the gathered up corners and tying a knot; flare out the "ribbon" towels and attach a set of measuring spoons.

• Purchase an inexpensive picnic basket, put in all the makings for a picnic lunch, including nice plastic plates, glasses, and tableware, and wrap it in a bright colored tablecloth.

• Make a copy of your favorite cake recipe, buy a cake pan and all the ingredients you can package, and wrap them all together. Again you could use a tea towel for the wrapping or maybe the Living Section from the newspaper that has the recipes.

• If the couple will be traveling to their new home, wrap their gift in maps and attach a toy compass or air pressure gauge to the bow.

Of course these all depend on how fancy the wedding is or maybe not just how you feel about it. They always work for showers too. I try to make my shower gifts as much fun as I can. Be creative with the wrapping and avoid wasting money on the paper and bow.

By latrtatr from Loup City, NE

Excellent practical thinking, not to mention very green. No used wrapping paper and bows in the landfill this way. :D

Anonymous

I love the picnic basket idea! What couple wouldn't want a romantic picnic on their honeymoon even if it ends up needing to be an indoor picnic? ;-)

I love gift baskets, and you hit the nail on the head with these. If I don't suggest some of my own though, the pressure would blow out my teeth!

If your couple loves to cook, make some of the very cool "meal in a jar" or "cookies in a jar" or "soup in a jar" gifts. Then, with the basket and the utensils, put in some special spices, powdered mixes, spice containers, Dollar Tree cook book or just a pretty recipe card, after dinner mints, etc.

If your couple is health conscious, and you can't find a basket, use a big plastic bowl. Fill with a salad utensil set, salad croutons and seasonings, dressing mixes, and a coupon for their local farmers market or health food store.

If they love ethnic foods, you can customize the gift basket with specialty foods or sample sizes of seasonings or spices for their Lasagna, Enchiladas, Mooshu Pork, etc.

Just a few months back, I had the pleasure of going to a "retirement party" for a gal who had spent 25 years taking care of kids. She had always wanted to cater, loved to cook, but never had time. I got her every spice I could find in the Dollar Tree, soaked off the labels, put pretty one I got on line and printed on labels that stick, put them all in a basket lined with pot holders, and I think she loved that one the best.

If you love to do things like this, but can't come up with something you can google "gift baskets" on line and find more than you will ever need! I hope this and the wonderful ideas from Ann will help!