Funky Flower Gel Bamboo Plant or Candle Gift

I was at a discount store and found 4 packages of flower gel for $1. Then I went to the dollar store and bought a tall 3 inch square clear glass vase for $1. I headed over to the grocery store where they sell Bamboo Plant Stems for about $1 each for small ones.

I added water to the gel pack, then placed what I needed in the tall vase and placed the bamboo stems in there. It looks like something you'd buy for a LOT more money. I tied Raffia around it for gift giving. The flower gel was orange and I thought it looked really great with the bamboo. I was only able to find orange, but if you can find different colours you can also make layers of various ones.

*Most gel packages make about 1 litre of gel and I hear it is good for making plants last longer. Best to use with distilled water and the gel is usually bio-degradable. It's best to use the following plants only: bamboo, herbage, arrowroot, amaryllis, palm, dasheen, and fleshy-plants. (plants who can grow in darkness). Because I didn't use the entire package of gel for this, the gift cost me under $4 to make!

Other Ideas: Instead of plants you can place a candle in there as well (for decorative purposes only). I've also seen beautiful seashells mixed with blue gel and votive candles on top:

By Lisa from Halifax, NS

I love my lucky bamboo plant. I did mine a little differently. I used river rocks ($1.00 at the dollar store), & one of the short square vases from the $1.00 store. It would look festive with the colored gel. I found that my bamboo does fine up here with New England tap water, but when I lived in the South, my bamboo plant needed bottled water. The tap water down there killed it quickly. Next year I might make everyone a lucky bamboo plant gift. Good idea.