Buckeye Candy (Grandma's Peanut Butter Balls)

Every year my grandma made what we called "Peanut Butter Balls". She never went by a recipe and they always turned out perfect!

Over the years family members moved away and family gatherings became extinct (literally) and so we all missed out on Grandma's peanut butter balls.

Later, I found this recipe for Buckeye Candy that is almost exactly like Grandma's peanut butter balls!

Buckeye Candy

• 2 c. creamy peanut butter (not all-natural)
  • 1/4 c. butter or margarine, softened
  • 3 3/4 c. powdered sugar
  • 2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 2 Tbsp. vegetable shortening

Line cookie sheets with wax paper.

Beat peanut butter and butter in a large mixer bowl until creamy. Beat in powdered sugar until mixture holds together and is moist. Shape into 1" balls; place on cookie sheets. Freeze one hour.

Melt chocolate chips and shortening in medium, uncovered microwave-safe bowl on high for 1 min., stir. If necessary, continue every 10-15 seconds until melted completely.

Dip peanut butter centers into chocolate using a toothpick, leaving a small amount of center uncovered (hence, the eye). Shake off excess and place on cookie sheet. Refrigerate, covered, until chocolate is set. Store in covered container in refrigerator.

Variations: My grandmother used completely cover her peanut butter centers or another idea is to set the centers on top of a bakers cooling rack and drizzle chocolate back and forth over the peanut butter center.

You could do all three variations for gifts and put a few of each one in a little tin.

Yields approx. 6 dozen.

By Tawnda

THANK YOU!! Exactly what I was looking for, I use to have the recipe and lost it. And it is funny that it is called Grandmas peanut butter balls, some of us didn't know what exactly they were called, we just LOVED them. I was surprised to find the recipe listed under the actual name I knew it by. Thanks again!!

Thanks for the recipe. My grandmother made these and passed several years ago. This is the simplest recipe. Thanks for sharing.

Sounds great. I was looking for this recipe to make for christmas. Can't wait to try it.

Jeff Foxworthy has a quote: You may be from Ohio if you know what a buckeye really is, and you have a recipe for candy ones.

Growing up in Ohio, I can tell you that it's the truth! These are a tradition that everyone I know grew up with, enjoyed, and passed on to friends and family. If you didn't make them yourself, a friend or family member certainly did. Everyone knew what buckeye candy was!

thanks delcious recipe perfect for v day

I grew up with this recipe throughout the holidays, It's great having a northern tradition here in the south.

I just made these and they look and taste so yummy! I dipped them in semi-sweet chocolate and left a circle on top to show the peanut butter mixture. I then drizzled white chocolate on top (I put the melted chocolate in a sandwich baggie and cut the tip so I could have control over my design). They look beautiful and would make a great treat at a wedding. (or for Christmas which is why I am making them.) Enjoy!

If you add some Parafin wax (household wax) to your choc chips when they are melted it puts a shine on your choc and also makes the choc. harder. Just shave some in with a cheese grater and let it melt.