Dachshund Kicking Back Leg Out

I have a little mini dachshund named Dixie. She is 7 years old. In 2009 she became paralyzed in her back legs and we had to rush to the ER vet. We then got a referral to Auburn vet clinic, and needless to say, we had to have surgery on her back! I was so nervous and scared. She ended up coming out really good. After about 2-3 months, she was back to walking. Sometimes she is a little wobbly, and she has always been bow legged in the back!

Last year we noticed she would kick her leg out almost like she had a leg cramp or charlie horse, and then it would stop. She is now doing this again, kicking her leg out. I called Auburn, but cannot talk to anyone until Monday when the neurologist comes in. Anyway, I didn't know if anyone has experienced this with their Dachshund?

By Jo Lynn

I have a chiweenie dog.. Half chihuahua, half daschand. She has the chihuahua head and the daschuand body. She will lift up one leg when she runs and she will kick her back leg out when playing. *She too is bow-legged. The leg kicking might be a normal trait of the weiner dog side Hope this helps.

I have a chiweenie dog. Half chihuahua, half daschand. She has the chihuahua head and the Dachshand body. She will lift up one leg when she runs and she will kick her back leg out when playing. *She too is bow-legged. The leg kicking might be a normal trait of the weiner dog side. Hope this helps.

I have had dachshunds (pure bred not mixed) off and on all of my life, and have 2 now.

Does Dixie act like she's in pain when her leg kicks out like that? If not, then don't worry about it until you can talk to Auburn.

If she is in pain, try putting her in a small crate or cate where she is forced to be as still as you can keep her. Only allow her out to go outside, and even then, you carry her in and out. Do this till you can get hold of Auburn to find out what you should be doing.

I had a doxie years ago whose back went out on her and she had to have surgery. After the surgery I had to keep her in a small cage 24/7 for 6 months. She wasn't even allowed to come out to go pee or poop. Had to make her do it in the cage and just clean the cage many times a day. At the end of the 6 months though (boy was I glad to see that day come!) she was completely healed and lived trouble free for another 12 years after that.

Good luck with your Dixie!

If you live in Australia you don't have to wait for specific person at your Vet clinic. Contact SASH they are in the phone book. Good luck with your little one.

Pets Dogs HealthJuly 31, 2011
Woman with a Leg Cast
Underwear to Wear with a Leg Cast
Preventing Leg Ulcers
Preventing Leg Ulcers
Woman with a leg cramp.
Remedies for Leg Cramps
Dachshund and Schnauzer Mix
Dachshund and Schnauzer Mixed Breed Information and Photos
🎄