To Quit Smoking, Keep Quitting

March 27, 2008 marks my 16th anniversary of kicking a nasty 20-year, 2-plus pack a day nicotine habit. If you REALLY want to quit smoking, here is the key tip that helped me to do it: KEEP QUITTING

I started January 1992 and smoked my "last" cigarette every Friday night. It is a very difficult habit to break to which anyone who has tried will attest, and inevitably I would start again Saturday. I quit again and again each and every Friday night. My "last" cigarette was the one before I went to bed.

It took me three months of quitting every weekend and finally, FINALLY. I didn't break down and have that cigarette on Saturday. Or Sunday. That cigarette was truly my last.

I had the phone number for my local American Lung Association chapter handy and I called them with all my questions. They were so nice and helpful! Here's their website: http://www.lungusa.org/

Here's a piece of trivia: nicotine is more addictive than heroin. Need proof? Think of all the addicts who quit heroin, yet still smoke cigarettes. Good luck, and KEEP QUITTING!

Atta girl, Laura!

Thank you Laura for the positive power of persistance. My boyfriend and I quit for four days, then came Friday (my boyfriend's a musician and had a gig) and we relapsed. We're still intent on quitting and are now only smoking outside. It's hard going but it's nice to hear a success story from someone who FINALLY got through the weekend!

Hi!

My logic on quitting on Friday nights was that I'd already made it 8 hours (while I slept) by the time I woke up. I'd heard the first 12 hours are critical -- so sleeping through 8 of them made it more tolerable than quitting mid-day.

Keep trying! Keep quitting! Just because you started up on Friday doesn't mean you can't quit again.

In the meantime, continue to only smoke outside. Don't smoke in your car. Smoke a cigarette with lighter tar -- when you get comfortable with that, go lighter....and so on.... Quitting is a process.

You can do it, I know you can !

xoxo

Great Job! I tried to quit for years and years also. This coming May 13 will be one year for me. My doctor prescribed Chantix. It really works, and I had no withdrawal. Follow the directions and want to, want to, want to. That is still the biggest motivation. Make the effort. It is worth it. This is the first winter without bronchitis!!! Wow. Way to go, Laura!

Good for you! I quit 8 months ago,Apr. 20 will be 9 months. I did not use ANYTHING, just determination after 1 and 1/2 packs per day x 30 yrs. (I tried, gum, pills, patches, even hypnosis previously, nothing worked) There is a web site that is great. It is Whyquit.com. There is a "quit meter" you can download to your desktop and it will keep track of days,hours, min, sec. Days of life you save, money saved, milestones, etc. Good luck to all who have decided to quit, if I did it anyone can!

I quit 3 years ago,I first quit menthol cigarettes, then bought the cheapest ones I could buy. I took vitamin c, as this blocks the desire for nicotine and drank water every time I had the urge to smoke. I got rid of all cigs and ashtrays and stayed away from any place where smoking was allowed. I had smoked for 40 years and my son said if you can quit anyone can. Good luck.bjm

I quit October 15, 1994..mainly because I caught the flu which went into bronchitis that became chronic. It was either smoke or breathe. This time I didn't go back to smoking after I felt better. When I catch a cold these days it isn't even much of a bother without that nasty cough I used to get.

Congratulations to each and every one of you.

My husband and I both quit smoking over 2 years ago. We didn't use any gum or aids of any sort, just determination. Man, it was hard, and there are days I still want a cigarette. I know now what a real addiction cigarettes are and that I will always be addicted to them, so I can't ever cheat and have one. I do notice now how bad people smell who smoke and think back to when folks must have thought that about me, too. Ha, ha. I wish luck to anyone trying to quit. It is worth it.

I haven't smoked in over ten years now. All the little tips help, but the two biggest ones that I found and don't see alot are these.

!-) The ten minute rule-have lots of little projects and distractions ready that take about ten minutes time. when you really feel the urge, grab one of them and do it, by the time you finish the project the "fit" is usually over or at least manageable.

2-)Breathing-Your lungs are used to the deep inhaling you did while smoking (if you inhaled, I did), so when you quit, if you never breathe like that, they kind of miss it, like the habit. I know it sounds strange, but when I started just fake inhaling it made my lungs feel better, I felt more calm, and the urge went away.

I don't know if theese will work for everyone, but if it helps one person it was worth my time. Good luck and don't give up, it really is worth it!

Praise God! If only my sister would quit..it is such a heartache; our mother died of cancer because of it! I admire your courage, strength, tenacity and loving yourself!

Quit Smoking
Quitting Smoking
Health & Beauty AdviceMarch 27, 2008
someone smoking
Dealing with Smoking at Family Gatherings
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
A woman breaking a cigarette in half.
Coping With the Symptoms of Nicotine Withdrawal
E-Cigarettes
Using Electronic Cigarettes to Quit Smoking
🎉
🎄