Thinking of Getting a Malamute

I am thinking of getting a Malamute. I have a 2yr old German Shepard at the moment and want to know if they would work together. Also what can I expect from a malaute? good and bad...

Diane from Kent, UK

Malamutes need a lot of excersise. I have had two Mal's and they both were runners, meaning any chance they got to get loose, they'd take off in a heartbeat. And good luck chasing them down. They can be very stubborn as well. Shedding is awful, I vacuum every other day. It is best to brush them often to keep up with the undercoat.

Very friendly, docile and family orientated however I know if someone messes with me or my son, my Malamute will protect us.

I will always have Malamutes.

I have had many, many dogs in my many, many years (lol). One of them was an alaskan malamute that we rescued. We had our malamute for five years, and she was 10 years old when we got her. She was an absolutely wonderful dog, but there were a number of things about her that made her probably the most difficult dog I have ever owned. Jennifer covered most of the positive and negative in her earlier post: runners, stubborn, shed a lot, very friendly and docile, and protective of the family. The most difficult thing about ours was that she attacked smaller animals (cats, smaller dogs) until I established my Alpha position. And that was not done easily. If you get a malamute, be prepared to work very hard to train him or her. Once trained, you couldn't ask for a better pet. I think the point I am trying to make is that malamutes are not for the faint of heart!! And if you read about the breed, they are not always good around

smaller animals. Research malamutes before making your decision. If you can, especially, read about all of the malamutes that have been turned over to rescues because people cannot handle them. Good luck.

We had a malamute for a short time. It did not get along with other dogs of the same gender and suffered from the heat. They are bred for sled work.

We live in Northern Canada.

Our 9 yr old mal,Mufasa,has been decribed to a tee in the previous posts. He is loyal and very protective of my family. He is also very stubborn at times but always lovable. As mentioned they are very intolerant to heat and shed tremendously. Also the breed can be prone to hip dysplasia. They are many wonderful malamute sites on the web, do your "homework" and choose your breeder carefully. I too will always have Malamutes.

Why not get a shelter dog? They may have some Malamutes or be able to refer you to a good rescue group that can help select a Mal that will fit well with other dog. You may also find someone whose personality and behavior fits perfectly with your dog.

Getting a dog is a lot like dating. Looks can carry you just so far but personality and behavior make or break the relationship. Try to choose a dog that suits your home and lifestyle instead of selecting one based on looks or hearsay.

Males are stubborn, HUGE shedders and very heat intolerant. They will more often than other breeds try for the alpha position and that could be a very unwelcome stress on your beloved Shep. It isn't the breed that determines whether dogs will get along. It's their very individual behaviors (how dominate or submissive each dog naturally is), your behavior and whether or not you truly take the alpha position in the pack.

Getting a mixed breed will also help eliminate TONS of breed specific congenital health and typical behavior problems. If you're dead set on a purebred; shelters get them all the time too. You just might have to wait a few weeks until what you want comes in. Good luck!

Pets Dogs Dog BreedsFebruary 5, 2008
A child not listening by covering his ears.
Getting Your Kids to Listen
Cold frame and glass cloches for plant protection.
Preparing Your Garden for Winter
Alaskan Malamute
Alaskan Malamute Breed Information and Photos
Blackberries ripening on a vine.
Growing Blackberries
🎉
🎄