Internet Not Working

What do I do when the internet shuts down?

By Edwards29

That would depend on what type of internet you have. I have dial up. When it is so slow it barely works I go do something else. High traffic times make dial up worthless.

I used to have cable internet at my previous residence. When my internet stopped then it was usually my cable modem. I would reset it and everything would work fine again.

At work I used to have a T5 internet connection. When it died it was usually dead for everyone else so there was nothing that could be done till the IT people fixed it. If everyone else had internet but I didn't I would start checking connections from my PC to the network hub. Not usually a house hold task but it could be.

You could have satellite internet which would be susceptible to weather conditions just like satellite TV. If there is snow in your satellite you will have little to no signal strength and therefore no internet. You would need to clean the dish.

If you have DSL internet, which is high speed internet through your phone line, and you are having problems it could be your DSL modem needs to be reset OR it could be your service provider is not dependable. Your best bet is to call your provider and have them walk you through tests to see if they can pinpoint what the problem is.

Basically, it would help to know what kind of internet you have. The internet itself doesn't "shut down" it just become inaccessible. Knowing how you access the internet would narrow down what might help keep your connection thriving.

I have dial-up, and after 3-4 hours of use, my internet provider - - says they shut it down - I can't remember for what reason - just because I was on it too long, I guess. This happens every time I'm on the Internet for more than 3-4 hours. If my magic jack phone connection was plugged in to the internet and I wasn't there to turn it right back on, I'd miss the calls on my voice mail. Or doesn't the magic jack need the internet to be logged on?

I cuss!

I have A T & T DSL, so when I recently lost connectivity, we hit the "reset" button on the left side of the modem. Presto! My internet (and email) were back, just like magic!

Computers Internet TipsJanuary 25, 2010
cable modem
Having Internet Without a Computer
Swagbucks Reviews
Swagbucks Reviews
An upclose photo of a laptop keyboard.
Saving Money on Your Internet Bill
A grandma smiling while using her tablet computer.
Computer and Internet Training for Senior Citizens