My Frugal Life - Tips from a Single Mom

I am a single mother of three and a teacher at Head Start. We don't make much money (think fast food restaurants) and we get laid off for the summer so I must live frugally throughout the year. I haven't bought clothes at full price in two years. When I did, it was because I had an income tax refund. I receive clothing from friends and family and I "shop" at a free church in town. No one even imagines that I get my wardrobe for free! My Frugal Life

I had a baby four months ago and while I was pregnant, I took classes at a pregnancy intervention center. They gave me mommy money in exchange for a class about parenting one hour each week. With the money, I bought a baby bouncy seat, clothes, a baby gate, maternity clothes, nursing clothes, bottles, and much more. When I finished the program, they gave me a brand new bassinet.

I only buy baby products at Kroger because I get "points" for each dollar I spend on baby items. I use my WIC (Women, Infants and Children - there and get points for that. Kroger brand items count double so I buy them as often as possible. Also, with coupons, I can buy some name brand items cheaper than the generic.

I receive food stamps and try to be as frugal as possible with them. I shop at Kroger for my regular groceries and Winn-Dixie for my meat because they always have meat buy 1 get 1 free. I also buy food from Angel Food Ministries. I can get a weeks worth of groceries for a family of four for $25. Visit for more info.

I have a $20/month telephone and I am accidentally paying AOL for internet (I forgot to cancel my free trial in time). We NEVER rent movies. For the price of rentals, I buy DVDs at WalMart and secondhand stores. I bought some great kids movies at Wal Mart for $1 each. For entertainment, we go to the library, park, a track near our hospital has Canada Geese around all the time so we go there to feed the geese. I also look for free events in our town.

I always look for something free with items I buy. I once got a free Dragon Tales DVD with a box of training pants, WIC honors BOGO, so I can get 2 lb. of cheese if it's on sale BOGO, I buy the WIC cereal with free toys inside for the kids. I check out any sale bin, etc., that I pass.

I only live frugally enough that I don't owe any bills to anyone. I never want to be without electricity or a home. I do want my kids to look nice and clean and we always dress as nice as possible. We always have food around and I try to help others as much as they help me. I have recently found even more ways to save money through bartering with other moms, freecycle, and paperback swapping. I hope to have fun with these new "techniques". I love to save money, it gives me a high, LOL.

Scruggle from Dublin, GA

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here:

Have you ever heard of Aldi's? It is a small grocery can get a loaf of white bread, a pack of hamburger buns or hot dog buns for about .69, cans of soup for .39, some very good prices, not a huge selection, but you can get creative. I spend $25 or so a week, and it does last more than a week, but if you are frugal, you can spend $75 a month for a family of four and still not be hungry.

I need help putting my 7 year old daughter on a healthy eating plan - i am desperate - i cant think of meals and snacks that will help her be healthy and will keep her not wants snacks/

I looked online for an Aldi's and the closest one to my house is 80 miles. I do shop at a local store that has the dented cans, etc and save money there. I also found that they offer fresh homegrown vegetables cheaper than the mass-produced ones at the supermarket. I am now beginning to make my own baby food. Wish me luck....

Can I just say... Mom's (& Dad's) who can raise a family with just the necessities and still have a fun and fruitful unity are the hero's and what make up the 'back bone' of my Country! I honor you and all who are out there not cushioning the pockets of the of the designers and 'BIG' business's.

I have always been 'frugal' and to some of my family members... 'A Tight Wad' <smile> but my house & cars are paid off and I owe no one except the soldiers of this country my gratitude in the service they provide for me and my family.

Better Living Frugal Living My Frugal LifeJune 19, 2006
Craft Ideas for Creamer Containers
Crafts Using Single Serving Cream Containers
Green Valentine's Day Ideas, heart shaped leaf
Being Single on Valentine's Day
Two child's hand print ornaments.
Homemade Birthday Gift Ideas for Mom
A daughter hugging her mother on her birthday.
Birthday Gift Ideas for Your Mom