If you're planning to purchase furniture for your patio, consider not getting a glass topped table. They look thick, but they're also breakable. If someone were to lose their footing and fall upon it, it would be a horrible accident that might could have been prevented.
And let me say that glass will also shatter after enough heat and sun. We had a nice big THICK glass tabletop that went with our patio furniture. It only lasted for 4 years.
We were sitting in our living room one evening and we heard something just shatter and drop to the deck. We looked outside and the glass top shattered into a MILLION peices. Each piece was no bigger than a garden pea! It was a major mess! I was disappointed that it lasted no longer than that.
Also, unlike regular tabletops, glass tabletops are hard to keep clean. With a regular top, you can just wipe it off with a damp cloth or sponge, but your glass top will be streaked unless you use glass cleaner and a dry cloth to polish it up.
Harlean from Arkansas
I think the glass topped tables are very attractive but I wouldn't think very practical. I've never had one; however I have small children so figure it wouldn't be a wise choice. I also have enough work to do so I wouldn't want to clean a glass top. We have the resin table and chairs and those do require some maintenance as well but not that much. Usually my hubby gives them a cleaning with his power washer once a year and then it's just an occasional wiping off.
I have had 2 glass top tables that have broken all on their own. The first one was in a room of our house for the winter. It had been there for about 3 months with nothing sitting on it and no temperature change. In the middle of the night, I woke my husband and told him I thought someone was in the house--turned out it was making a lot of noise before it went crashing. It looked like popcorn popping all over the carpet. It was easy to clean up because of it being tempered glass and didn't cut the carpet but then I had no table. The next one I got was also glass--came home last year (I think it lasted for about 4 years) and it was in those tiny little balls all over the deck. It had been a very hot day that day so I imagine that was the cause. WOULD NEVER HAVE ONE AGAIN!! Have wrought iron now.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!