Store Important Items In Dishwasher In An Emergency

contest winner icon

If you live in hurricane country, put important papers and photos in ziplock bags the dishwasher when a storm is approaching. The home appliance is heavy, attached to the house. and waterproof, which makes it easy to find after a storm.

By fossil1955 from Cortez, CO

What a good idea, my daughter lives in south Florida. I will have to tell her. Thanks.

Great Idea. Thanks!

What an ingenious idea! I live in Tornado Alley now, not in hurricane country anymore, but it still sounds like a good idea. We don't have a dishwasher, so I plan to use my washing machine: it's heavy and it's waterproof, so it should be just as safe as a dishwasher (however safe that might be in a tornado!)

January 27, 2011 Flag

If you ever need to leave in a hurry because of a flood approaching, a good place to store important items (computer tower, pictures, etc.) is in your dishwasher. It has a watertight seal that will protect your items. You could also put items in your FRONT loading clothes washer. It will not work with a TOP loader clothes washer.

By Fred from Michigan

Very good tip! I'm not sure if it's possible to cram a PC tower into the confines of a dishwasher, but it's worth a try. :-) (09/08/2008)

By WildIrish

You can, if you remove the racks, etc. and it really does work. (01/31/2010)

By Jron7667

Prepare your home for an emergency.
Preparing Your Home for an Emergency
Home and Garden Emergency FloodJanuary 27, 2011
Interior of a full dishwasher.
Removing Hard Water Stains Inside Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
An open dishwasher full of clean dishes.
Fixing a Leaking Dishwasher
New Open Dishwasher
Saving Money on a Dishwasher