Sewing Without a Pattern

I am new to sewing and I want to make things without a pattern. I have seen it done online and it looks easy and fast. I would like to make dresses, skirts, and tops for office wear.

I am not looking for skimpy outfits, but dress or office type clothes. Any help would be appreciated. Are there any books for tips? The outfits were really quick and easy, but it was not office attire. Thanks in advance.

By Robyn

Somebody is probably going to prove me wrong but I don't think you'll be able to do it. You're new to sewing and you want to make professional clothing without a pattern? I don't think you can. Sorry, I might be wrong, but I don't think so.

Yes! You can do this! But if you are a beginner, it would help if you became a little more advanced before you took on big projects. I've been sewing without a patterns for years & I can walk you through anything (simple) that you would like to make! I made all of my daughter's school clothes when she was in elementary school without patterns & all her younger friends begged for her hand-me-downs! The trick is to pick the correct fabric & start with simple things. Also, if you find one pattern that you like, you find ways to change that one item into 10 different looks by using different fabrics & trims.

Send me a note here on ThriftyFun & tell me what you'd like to make & I'll direct you to the right fabrics & give you directions. If I were you, I'd start with a simple skirt or a a basic, drop-sleeve T-shirt. Do you know how to put in a zipper yet? The trick is to start out easy, then, as you learn, you begin to make garments that are more difficult. Also, buy only discount fabrics of high quality, this way, you can afford to make mistakes & won't spend a fortune.

I find that the best way to learn sewing techniques is to make small clothes for dolls or stuffed animals (not Barbie clothes, they are too small!) This way, you learn without making costly mistakes. Just use fabric from old clothes you no longer wear then cut them down into tiny clothes for babies, dolls or teddy-bears.

You do need to know some basic sewing techniques like how to put in a zipper, etc. You also need some basic sewing tools. Besides a sewing machine (that will also sew zigzag) you needs a steam-iron, ironing board, zipper-foot & a seam-ripper (your very best friend!). You can buy the iron & ironing board secondhand at the Thrift Store. You also need to know how to follow a simple pattern.

And, don't forget, you can find used patterns for under a dollar at most Thrift Stores! Another trick is to take a simple garment you like apart, or use aluminum foil to copy a garment to make your own pattern pieces. Write me for more details.

Glenn's Mom, I agree with you. I have been sewing for roughly 60 years. I started out making doll clothes. My Mother taught me to lay the doll on a double piece of fabric, and cut around it, then when I sewed it to leave an opening for the neck and arms, with a a slit part way down the back. Then during the sewing sew a piece of ribbon on the back to tie it shut with. The only sewing my Mother did was patching. By the time I was in middle school I was making the full, gathered skirts that were so popular back then. I also will take one piece, from one pattern, like for a top, and then use the neckline from another pattern, by laying the pieces on top of each other. I also switch collars, sleeves, etc.

Sewing
Sewing Without a Pattern
Crafts SewingFebruary 26, 2010
stack of yo yo paper weights
Making Yo Yo Pattern Weights
Paper pieced quilt top, endless chains pattern.
Making a Paper Pieced Quilt
Making a quilt square on a home sewing machine.
Machine Quilting on a Home Sewing Machine
Pink Sewing Pattern Weight
Making Sewing Pattern Weights
🎉
🎄