Repairing a Bleach Stain on Leather

Category Leather
bleach damage on leather sofa
Bleach generally removes or lightens the color of leather. You may be able to disguise or color the blemish. This is a guide about repairing a bleach stain on leather.

How do I fix bleached leather? Can I color it in?

By kwatts

Use a permanent marker to cover the spots, good luck.

You could also use shoe polish the same color as the leather (the brand Meltonian, available in shoe repair stores has lots of colors - or even use cream makeup the same color) to blend in larger areas.

The bleach has removed the color-coat from the top of your leather. With 20 years in the biz, I am happy to suggest do-it-yourself solutions when possible. In this case, I don't suggest do it yourself is the way to go. You need to match the color, refinish the area and re-topcoat the leather. Color matching is a challenging skill. Do yourself a favor, hire a pro instead of making the area worse. I was able to remove the stain in the pic so it was totally gone.

i got bleach on my leather shoes. how do i fix it?

I have a bleach stain on a new leather chair. Is there any way to remove it?

Martha MN

I would contact the manufacturer about that, because that sounds like a professional would have to be consulted with that, or recover it. I am sorry about that.

You could try using a felt tip pen in the closest possible color and coloring in the spot.

Bleach doesn't actually stain it actually 'bleaches' out the colour so there's no way to 'remove' it. Disguising it would be your best bet - with the felt tip previously mentioned or shoe polish may work if its brown. As its new I would also contact the manufacturer.

Regards

Jo

I used to own a leathercraft store and had to deal with that problem, for a few customers. You have to recolor the leather.

Do NOT use shoe polish, if it is in an area, which may rub off on someone's clothes.

There is a great product for this, in a spray-on form, called Nu-Life Color Spray, which can sometimes be found in shoe repair stores or online. Unfortunately, you can't really mix this to "match", but they come in a WIDE variety of colors, so you should be able to come VERY close to the color of your furniture.

The great thing about these, is that they have the "sealer" built in, so it's almost a one-step procedure.

The most important thing to remember, when you're matching the colors, is that for one thing, it will look different on each color that you spray it over, and two that it will be a little bit darker, until it dries, so don't panic.

Don't "over-spray" because it will look slightly darker, if you overlap the original color.

I hope this helps and good luck.

Charles