Browsing: Tips For Mailing Holiday Goodies

Tips for Shipping Baked Goods Overseas

No butter, margarine, peanut butter or nuts should be used. These fats go rancid too fast in high heat. Butter flavored shortening however can be used.

No brown sugar,corn sugar,honey or molasses should be used. The baked goods with these products will be too soft and possibly become moldy. Only white table sugar should be used.

Chocolate and butterscotch can be used in baked goods. Once chocolate has been baked into the product and has the chance to take up moisture from the batter, the chocolate should stay firm.

Bar cookies and brownies are the best bet for safe packing and are quickest for baking large quantities.

Baked goods should be wrapped tightly in aluminum foil which provides the best barrier against humidity.

Pack goods in sturdy boxes and surround them with foam packing such as styrofoam peanuts. I also use my food saver after wrapping them in foil to keep the air out.

By imaqt1962

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

Thanks for sharing this tip. Our Grandson is in the Coast Guard and is being sent overseas soon. It will come in handy for his wife and 3 little boys also. As they live in OR. it will be hard for all of them. (Her family lives in another state.) GG Vi So.CA.

Thank you so much for this information. My Air Force son is leaving soon for South Korea, and his favorite is banana bread. If I use your tips - shortening, no nuts, can I make banana bread and ship to Korea?

I wanted to bake goodies for my nephew/godson ship mates, he's on the coast in th emiddle east. I am confused to what I can send at this point. I will be creative with your suggestions. Chocolate chip cookies could be out. Thank you for the advise!

AS WE ARE STILL DEPLOYING SERVICE MEMBERS OVERSEAS I WANTED TO REFRESH THIS POST AS SOME MEMBERS MAY NOT HAVE HAD A CHANCE TO READ IT. IT IS SO NICE TO SEND OUR SERVICE PEOPLE PACKAGES. MY SON HAS RECENTLY BEEN DEPLOYED TO IRAQ AND I KNOW HE IS ALWAYS HAPPY TO GET MAIL FROM HOME

I am active duty navy and people send cookie, brownies, and the like all the time! From my experience, people dont follow these rules BUT results are always hit or miss. Cookies with bread slices inside an air tight bag usually provide good results. It does take a while to get to middle east, but sometimes as short as 2 weeks. Take it from a girl who has been out to sea.. SEND WHATEVER you know your army, navy, marine, girl or guy wants and take your chances!! They'll love it, even if its crusty! :)

Hello

I would like to introduce our company to you, we have been around since 1987 offering cakes in the US & Canada, but we recently started shipping to the service members overseas. Our cakes are traditional birthday cakes frosted and they have your inscription on top. Site is: http://www.wireacake.com

It's best to call your post office about this. We sent our grandson some small cans of food,crackers. Playing cards, nuts. It's cheaper to get boxes from post office for this. Good luck.

We send our son cookies from http://www.buttermaidbakery.com and so glad we found them! It takes about 2 weeks, but they arrive fresh and he loves them!

Mailing Holiday Goodies
Tips For Mailing Holiday Goodies
Holidays and Parties Christmas Gifts AdviceMay 25, 2005
Fragile Label on Cardboard Shipping Box
Shipping Breakables
Hand Cart With Box That Reads Free Shipping
Saving Money on Shipping Charges
Dry Goods
Freezing Dry Goods
Shipping Fruit
Shipping Fruit
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 18, 2016 at 6:33:19 PM on 10.0.0.123 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.