AdviceDogs

Taking a Puppy Outside

I have an 8 week old puppy. Should I take it out in the cold and rain to go potty?

Jim

If thats where you want him to do his business...yes, rain or shine, warm or cold. Older dogs will get finicky about going outside when they are uncomfortable with the weather but thats when they can hold it all day or longer. Puppies do not have that control. Its miserable for you and maybe him for a little while but they cope much better than we do. It will definitely be worth the effort to have him tell you when he needs to go out in a few months rather than have him look out and see it raining and decide to go somewhere in the house instead! IMHO

Yes, puppies need consistency in order to learn what to do. Take him outside often when little, like 8 weeks, Bladders are small. Praise him highly when he does his business. As he gets older, take him out around the same times every day. They learn very fast if you keep the routine the same. I have 2 big dogs I have to walk 3 times a day. I purchased rain pants and boots with rain coat, snow pants, all I need for every kind of weather. They don't mind it.

You need to take it outside rain or shine! what else are u gonna do with it!

Your puppy takes his cues from you. If you think it's fun out in the rain--or at least act like it is, he will think so too.

Spend the time with him that he needs now while he is learning and once he is grown he will be an easy care dog.

Also if you have a veranda or deck you can train him there with some newspapers but you want to give that one a head start several days in advance. Once he knows to go potty out there on sunny days he will understand about rainy days too.

I'd like to know what to do, because I have a 4 month old Catahoula/Lab cross whom I had pretty well potty trained until the ground froze. Now she would rather poo in the bathroom and pee wherever. She has a spot over in some tall grass, but she has to cross our frozen driveway to get to it. There's something about frozen mud that she really doesn't like. I know its cold, but so is the rest of the ground. What do I do?

P.S. She won't wear booties

By Kayla, Aubrey, and Louie from USA

Check your local pet stores. They should have a new pad called Potty Patch specifically for indoor use. Hopes this helps.

Have you considered carrying her as you walk across cold ground in bare feet?