Bottle Wind Chimes

Materials

• 1 bottle, bottom removed using glass cutter
  • 3 different lanes of chain
  • two pieces of clothes hanger (used to connect lines of chain indeed up in an S shape)
  • wooden bead
  • key ring

Instructions

I make the wind chimes out of liquor bottles, wine bottles, and this one happens to be a wine cooler bottle. I use a glass cutter and cut off the bottom. I use a ceramic knife sharpener to smooth the sharp edges. If it has a screw on top, that's a plus.

Starting on the bottom, you need something to catch the wind this happens to be a small piece of wood, I have used old CDs, cut up place mats and Plexiglas shapes, connected to a length of chain (it varies with each bottle). Use a piece of clothes hanger and make a loop connected to the first piece of chain. Triad a large wooden bead (clapper). Make another loop on the opposite end of the piece of clothes hanger. Add another piece of chain and feed this piece of chain through the cut bottle from the bottom to the top determine the right length of chain and then cut. After poking a hole in the middle of the cap, use another piece of clothes hanger connected to the chain and feed it through the cap. Make another loop with another piece of chain on the opposite end of the cap. Determine the length of chain from the top of the cap to the hanging ring.

If your bottle does not have a screw on top, I use a bead just big enough that it won't slide through the opening or you can use another key ring. Just remember to feed it through the bottom of the bottle out the neck before you attach your hanging ring. I have never had one break from the weight.

By Babbie from Lemon Grove CA

I bought the glasscutter- bottle cutter At Michaels I can't remember how much it cost and I use the 40% off coupon.

Its a little L shaped table and you set the cutter all the way to the bottom, you turn the bottle to cut the glass, you need to have lots and lots of bottles because you have to tap from the inside and that's where you mess up, if you hit a little high or a little low the break will go off, so you get out another bottle and try again, but once you figure it out you make very few mistakes after that.

I love wind chimes and am going to add this one to my bookmarked favorites. Thanks for the detailed instructions!

God Bless,

Sheila

Decatur/Mt. Zion, IL

I love wind chimes, also want to put candles and plant pot, but we do not know where to buy the Glass cutter in South Africa. Please help. xxx

Crafts Using Old Glass Bottles, Old Medicine bottles
Crafts Using Old Glass Bottles
Crafts Garden & Yard WindchimesJune 6, 2009
Upclose photo of a wind chime hanging outside.
Making Wind Chimes
glass jar with rolled balls of fabric
Making a Vintage Rag Jar
Wind chimes that are made from a clay pot.
Clay Pot Wind Chimes
Finished Wind Chimes
Silverware Wind Chimes
🎉
🎄