Warning About Flea Medicine from the Dollar Store

PLEASE BE AWARE. While dropping my dog off at the vet yesterday, a hysterical girl rushed in with a cat that was violently shaking, mouth hanging open, eyes actually bugged out. She was crying and screaming. The receptionist ran around the desk and got the cat and I tried to comfort the girl and get out of her what had happened.

She had purchased and applied flea medicine from the Dollar Store the night before to her dogs and this poor cat. She said the dogs were OK. Please DO NOT buy this stuff from places like this. You need a known manufacturer and directions and doses from your vet! I am sure she was doing her best, but in the long run, it will now cost her a lot more.

I am sure that there are possibly some animals that would be affected by even the prescribed meds, however, the chances are way less likely.

I didn't even know stuff like that was sold at Dollar stores. I wonder where it was made? It seems a lot of things that are harmful are coming from China.

I would never trust anything from the Dollar Store for my kitties and dogs. I only buy from my Vet.

China? Betcha it is from there, it seems to me that they are trying to kill our pets.

Jennifer

Northern Virginia

Also do not buy any products from Hartz Mountain! rose

You can not use a dog's flea medicine on cats, period. It doesn't matter if it comes from the dollar store or from the vet. Don't do it.

Bonnie, You are a nice person for helping that poor girl.What a horrible situation. I have allways treated products from underdeveloped country's with suspicion. I cant understand how products that do not meet our country's stringent production standards,are allowed to be shipped into this country. This may not be the case however, Flea powder is poison. It is meant to kill, It just depends on the dose. Cats will lick it off.

Be aware that there is separate flea treatment for dogs and cats. Sometimes a bargain isn't worth taking chances.

Hi, thanks for the postings. I did not get the impression that she had used dog medicine on the cat. I am on hold right now with the vets office to check on the cat. If they do not keep me on hold too long, I will say how the cat is.

I AM SO GLAD...THE CAT TURN OUT OK...

THANK GOODNESS. That may not have been the case!

Pets HealthNovember 19, 2007
Medicine Dropper
Uses for Medicine Droppers
Empty Pill Bottles
Craft Ideas for Used Medicine or Pill Bottles
A man holding a dollar.
Shopping at Dollar Stores
Dollar Weed
Getting Rid of Dollar Weed
🎄