Make Your Own Sugars For Baking

Colored Decorator Sugar: If you don't have decorator sugar, you can make some by placing 1/4 cup granulated sugar into a re-sealable plastic food bag. Add the desired food color, one drop at a time. Seal bag and knead food color into sugar by hand. To eliminate speckles of color in the sugar, continue to knead sugar mixture until color is even.

Brown Sugar: To 1 cup granulated sugar, add 2 Tbsp. molasses. Stir together until evenly mixed with a fork. After trying it once, vary it by using 1 Tbsp. molasses, using the dark molasses or the light molasses. I prefer 1 cup sugar to 1 Tbsp molasses. To eliminate speckles of molasses in the sugar, pour in a re-sealable plastic food bag and, continue to knead sugar mixture until color is even. I make a double batch every time.

Powdered Sugar: Add 2 cups granulated sugar and 2 tablespoons cornstarch to a blender jar and blend on high for 2 minutes. Store in an air tight bag.

Source: http://www.recipezaar.com

By MCW from Lewiston, NY

Could I use splenda for the brown sugar? I am diabetic and I don't believe they have a brown sugar yet. I did hear about using the cornstarch with the splenda to make powdered sugar, just curious. Thanks a lot for the neat ideas.