Make Your Own Sugars For Baking

Colored Decorator Sugar: If you don't have decorator sugar, you can make some by placing 1/4 cup granulated sugar into a re-sealable plastic food bag. Add the desired food color, one drop at a time. Seal bag and knead food color into sugar by hand. To eliminate speckles of color in the sugar, continue to knead sugar mixture until color is even.

Brown Sugar: To 1 cup granulated sugar, add 2 Tbsp. molasses. Stir together until evenly mixed with a fork. After trying it once, vary it by using 1 Tbsp. molasses, using the dark molasses or the light molasses. I prefer 1 cup sugar to 1 Tbsp molasses. To eliminate speckles of molasses in the sugar, pour in a re-sealable plastic food bag and, continue to knead sugar mixture until color is even. I make a double batch every time.

Powdered Sugar: Add 2 cups granulated sugar and 2 tablespoons cornstarch to a blender jar and blend on high for 2 minutes. Store in an air tight bag.

Source: http://www.recipezaar.com

By MCW from Lewiston, NY

Could I use splenda for the brown sugar? I am diabetic and I don't believe they have a brown sugar yet. I did hear about using the cornstarch with the splenda to make powdered sugar, just curious. Thanks a lot for the neat ideas.

Large bag of sugar.
Sugar Tips and Tricks
Food and Recipes Food Tips BakingMay 19, 2009
Softening Granulated Sugar
Softening Granulated Sugar
granulated and cube sugar
Fixing A Recipe with Too Much Sugar
Substitution for Baking Powder
Substitution for Baking Powder
Homemade Vitamin Water
Homemade Vitamin Water Recipes
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 23, 2017 at 7:37:21 PM on 10.0.0.173 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.