Cleaning Cookie Sheets

I just burnt my grandmother's new cookie sheets while baking cookies. How can I clean them?

By MaKenzie from Norwood, MA

Best Answer

Make a paste of 1/4 cup baking soda, 1/2 cup salt, and 1/4 cup dish soap (Dawn would be good). Scrub and scrub and it will come off.

Best Answer

Brillo doesn't rust! Leave it on the sink, in the sink, in a dish; they don't rust. The pads in the pink box next to the SOS. You can use them for days and they won't rust! I left SOS behind 40 years ago, when my mother was still "cleaning" her oven! Brillo is the best, and it doesn't disintergrate rapidly like SOS does. I don't think you get as many in a box, but who cares. A rusty SOS is an awful thing to pickup!

I have always used soap filled steel wool pads (SOS pads). If you do a quick light cleaning with them after each baking session your pans will stay nice for years. I'm still using plain aluminum pans and baking sheets I've had (and used continuously) for 30 to 40 years and they still look great. I'd rather have the very faint scratch marks in the aluminum from cleaning with steel wool than have the burned on grease that you get otherwise. Here's a neat tip I picked up from a ThriftyFun post:

Place your used, wet SOS pad on a small square of aluminum foil and it will not rust! This works great! It's probaby one of the favorite pieces of information I found on this web site! Another tip: do not put aluminum articles in your dishwasher with dishwasher detergent. It will turn them dark and rough. You can however put aluminum in your dishwasher and run a rinse with WATER ONLY to get the surface gunk off. I do this when I'm cooking for a crowd and want to get a lot of pans rinsed so food won't dry on them before I can give them a good washing. They're out of sight, out of the sink and out of my way until after the meal is served. My kitchen is small, with limited counter space so this works very well for me.

Even though I have cookie sheets I prefer to buy wax paper and just line my cookie sheets; which cuts down on my clean up time and preserves my somewhat ungodly looking cookie sheet.

Once you start cleaning your cookie sheet with any abrasive it looses its luster.

Spray the warm sheets with oven cleaner, and place them back inside the oven as it cools. Then remove them and the crud should scrub off pretty easily.

There is a product on the market called "Dawn Power Dissolver" It is made by Proctor & Gamble. We use it in the elementary school kitchen to remove the burned on buildup of grease on all the baking sheets we use. I have used it at home as well on my aluminum pots and pans. I found it in my local grocery store. It works great!

Sometimes vinegar will do the trick.. or the magic eraser :)

I have done all of you these tips to clean my cookies sheets. I have soaked it with soap and water, I have used the Mr. Clean Magic eraser. My last tip is to throw away my pans and go out to eat for all my meals. No, just kidding. I am going to just have to buy new ones.

Not a cleaning solution but a way to continue to use your cookie sheets that have baked on goo. Purchase one or more Silpats. They are marvelous. Buy one each month as they run around $20. They come in several sizes so price will go up, but they are worth every penny. Never grease another cookie sheet, ever. You can even buy one for your toaster oven. And a great way to prevent grease buildup on new cookie sheets.

Barkeeper's Friend (from Wal-Mart) is the best I've found for stuff like this. I use it all the time and love it!

These are very helpful. I'll try them.

Depending on what they are made of, you could soak them in hot, soapy water for awhile, scrub them, and then put them in the dishwasher.

A used cookie sheet in need of cleaning.
Cleaning Cookie Sheets and Bakeware
Home and Garden Cleaning DishesApril 30, 2010
Organizing Cookie Sheets
Organizing Baking Pans and Cookie Sheets
Fitted Sheet
Making Fitted Sheets
Cookie sheet
Uses for Old Cookie Sheets
Burnt Cookie Sheet
Cleaning Burnt Cookie Sheets
🎄