General AdviceConsumer Advice

Reporting Fraudulent Emails

I received an email (yahoo account) asking me to update my bank account with a bank that I don't have an account with. As a matter of fact I think they (bank) went out of business. Who do I report it to and how do I forward the email without opening the content?

Juliet from NYC, NY

Anonymous

Sad but true that those email scammers are two steps ahead of the authorities. In 99.99% of the cases they are not traceable to the actual culprits. Don't waste your time and just simply delete those types of emails. And don't even bother wasting computer space by adding that email address to your blocked list because they only use that particular address once. You were wise to not open the attachment!

To report a phishing email, please forward the email to phishing@cc.yahoo-inc.com

If it gives you options, select forward as an attachment.

OliveOy,

Thanks for the information, but wouldn't I have to open the email in order to forward it? I don't want to do that. Is there any other way that I can forward it from my yahoo account?

Deeli,

I hear what you're saying, so....true! I have tried before & nothing ever happens.

GOD bless you both :)

I agree with Deeli, just put it in your spam, don't even bother opening it if you don't recognize the email address. Just put your arrow over the name or subject matter and it should tell you who's it's from, if you don't recognize it just spam it. That's what I do. I get about 20 of them a day.

spam AT uce.gov I forward any to this email address. It somehow helps. Good luck. Lori

Juliet, with Outlook Express you don't have to open the email in order to forward it. I think you have to with Yahoo or Hotmail. Just delete if you don't want to open it. If you are getting too much junk at that particular address, I'd suggest opening a different free email account and taper off using the spammed one for a while. Good luck.

When you open the email itself, that is not the problem, it is any attachments in the mail. You just forward it to your email providers Spam division.