Using fish and clam juice makes this tasty soup heart-healthy.
- 2 lb varied fish fillets (haddock, perch, flounder, cod, sole, etc.), cut
- into 1-inch-square cubes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 carrots, cut in thin strips
- 2 C celery, sliced
- 1/2 C onion, chopped
- 1/4 C green peppers, chopped
- 1 can (28 oz) whole tomatoes, cut up, with liquid
- 1 C clam juice
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme, crushed
- 1/4 tsp dried basil, crushed
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 C fresh parsley, minced
1. Heat oil in large sauce pan. Saute garlic, carrots, celery, onion, and green pepper in oil 3 minutes.
Add remaining ingredients except parsley and fish. Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are fork tender.
Add fish and parsley. Simmer, covered, 5-10 minutes more or until fish flakes easily and is opaque. Serve hot.
Yield:8 servings--Serving Size: 1 cup each
Each serving provides:
Total fat: 5 g
Saturated fat: less than 1 g
Cholesterol: 56 mg
Sodium: 380 mg
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute