Recalculating Recipe Ingredients

Does anyone know how to recalculate recipe ingredients? For example, I have a recipe for classic beef pot roast. The recipe is for a 3# roast, but mine is 4.5#. How can I change the other ingredients to get the same results? Thanks!

Jaye from Fort Myers, FL

Hi Faye,

This is the best I can do to help you.

See: ... 86378df-642a-41e2-a173-58f2c97a3dcb.

I am not good at scaling. Normally, I just follow the recipe, so as not to make a disaster. I am afraid that it won't work. Hope this helps anyway.

I just came across this the other day and haven't had a chance to test it out yet so be sure to doublecheck the results:

Since 4.5 = 1.5 x 3.0, can you simply multiply all the other quantities times 1.5? You might have to further reduce fractional amounts, but you could probably plug those numbers directly into Google using the "convert ___ to ___" command.

With a pot roast I don't know what ingredients you would need to be recalculating. With seasoning, just season to taste. If you are adding vegetables, such as onions, carrots and potatoes, just add what you need. And then adjust the liquid you are adding. It's that simple.

preparing a recipe
Converting the Size of a Recipe
Food and Recipes Food Tips ConversionsFebruary 8, 2008
Measuring Ingredients
Measuring Ingredients
Jar of hand cream with flowers and woman's hands applying cream in the background.
Homemade Hand Cream Recipes
Ingredient Substitutions
Common Ingredient Substitutions
Recipe Cards
Using Recipe Cards