TipsComputers

Free Downloads Can Freeze Up Your Computer

Category Tips

I get so tired of "ctrl-alt-delete" when my computer freezes up on me, like five times a day. My buddy, the computer nerd, reminded me that downloading too many cutsie things and free stuff can have that effect.

I have a bad habit of thinking that downloading free spam blockers and debuggers is good. Not a good idea sometimes. That free stuff and my computer don't always get along. So think about that if you're freezing up too many times.

By Ardis

I had a lot of computer freeze ups when we were on dial up AOL. Thought it would go away when we still used AOL but were on a different company's DSL. Nope, freeze ups continued as usual. Got rid of AOL and got rid of the freeze ups.

You're right...You shouldn't download everything you see. If you have plenty room on your hard drive and plenty space in Memory??? then you should not be having a problem. Many things you need to do,besides an anti-virus and Firewall, such as download Spybot Search and Destroy for Free and eliminate all those who are spying on you and leaving cookies and regestry keys. Fix all cookies but not the Registry until you are familiar with what Registry is all about. Also, download Spyware Blaster for Free and enable protection. You can download these at download.com. This will help until you can afford something like Registry Mechanic. MAKE SURE you are Scanning Drive C and Fragmenting Drive C on a regular basis. Good Luck and Treat Your Computer Well.

when I'm on A O L chat I and everypne else get these A O L private chat pop ups .Can we stop them ?

There are two things to remember here.

1. You should not download more than 1 program that does the same thing - you end up with conflicts and that can freeze your computer - so only one debugger, one antivirus, one firewall etc. It does not matter if they are free or pay downloads.

2. Only download from reputable sites - http://www.cnet.com/ or http://majorgeeks.com/ - both sites check out software before they put it on the site for downloading - so no surprise viruses or malware to create problems.

Follow these two rules and free downloads will not be a problem.

Many reasons for freeze up. Until you know for certain, what is causing, don't assume. Conflicts can cause freeze ups, as so do other problems. Find a competant computer expert or a computer club in your area and get some good info.