Making Your Own "Topsy Turvy" Tomato Planters

I have seen an ad for upside down planter for tomatoes. Does anyone have a way to make your own? I think they would be easy to make, but am not sure what material to use. If anyone has a pattern and type of material please let me know. Thank you.

By Marie

I just saw this post featured yesterday on ... t-recycled-upside-down-planters.html

or more here: ... mp;q=upside+down+planter&spell=1

I had the same experience recently so went on a search too and came up with these links:

http://www.practicalhomeandgarden.c ... -your-own-upside-down-tomato-planter

Some notes I've made on the subject when using a bucket:

Add water retention crystals to the growing media

Use a strong metal handled bucket

Make sure to clean bucket well if it is not new

Use worm cast/compost brewed/aerated tea for feeding

This is a YouTube Clip

There are instructions for making your own topsy-turvy tomato planters from 5-gallon plastic buckets on the website for Mother Earth News.

Seems these folks were doing this for many different vegetable plants before it became a popular thing. Guess somebody took this bucket idea, and designed the now popular topsy-turvy planters.

The idea of using 5-gallon buckets is a good way to recycle buckets. They can be given free to you from the deli, or bakery in the grocery store. Some places now charge a small fee for the buckets and lids.

Some people save those plastic buckets from kitty-litter to be used for tomatoes. They are fairly easy to come by. Friends with cats will be so glad to save them for you! ha! Just be sure to ask for the lid to the bucket.

Homemade Topsy Turvy Planters
Home and Garden Gardening Creative PlantersApril 16, 2010
Broken terra cotta planter used to retain garden plant.
Reusing Terra Cotta Planters
Tire planter with flowers in it.
Making Tire Planters
Bowl of cream of tomato soup garnished with chives.
Freezing Tomato Soup
Sand Pail Planter
Making Sand Pail Planters