Denim Door Mat

This is a mat to put near the door. It will catch lots of outdoor dirt before it makes its way all over the house. This mat is made from recycled blue jeans, and makes use of very small scraps. You can make the base whatever size you want your mat to be.

Extra tip: Cut your scraps with a rotary cutter to save time. The picture is of a partially finished mat. Sorry, I have not had time lately to complete one for a photo session.

• heavy muslin
  • old blue jeans scraps
  • thread, any color*
  • sewing machine
  • sharp scissors for cutting fringe

*Since stitching doesn't show, this is good place to use up those odd colors of thread.

Instructions:

This project has no close tolerances. If measurements are a little off, everything should still work.

1. Cut your muslin to the desired size. My pictures are of just a small portion. A nice size would be about the size of a small throw rug.
  2. Make a narrow hem around all 4 sides.
  3. Cut your denim strips all the same width. I used 2 inches. Cut them any length that you are able to cut from your scraps. You can piece the short ones together or cut the long ones to fit. Just butt the ends together, and stitch as one.
  4. When cutting the fringe, it doesn't have to be really even slashes. Just be sure you don't cut through the stitches.

By Harlean from Hot Springs, AR

The complete instructions are in a PDF file for which you may need Acrobat Reader to view. Download Acrobat Reader

Click Here to download the Denim Door Mat Instructions in PDF format.

This is a great project but you lost me in the steps. After you cut the strips of denim, how are you sewing them on the backing. It looks likes you are making rows of these strips and only sewing them on one side. How far apart are you putting the rows then?

*ETA* - Sorry, I didn't see the PDF file there. I get it now.

This is great. It is so simple that even I could do it, lol. I do not sew. I will definately have to try this. Thank you for sharing.

Hi, I like the idea are you sewing them on the sewing machine? Liz

Yes, they are sewed on the sewing machine. And I don't sew either as a rule, just a little like this for a craft or two, but this is pretty easy and they don't have to be perfect as each row will cover any mistake made in the previous row.

Harlean from Arkansas

I've always wanted to make a denim rag rug, and this was so much easier than I was making it! My dogs have not moved from it since I put it down. :) They are constantly trying to push each other off, so looks like I'll be making some more! Thanks so much.

Crafts Using Old Jeans, Stack of jeans to use for crafts.
Crafts Using Old Jeans
Crafts RugsJanuary 29, 2009
Purple Yoga Mat
Cleaning a Yoga Mat
Jeans purse with ribbons and other decorations.
Making a Jeans Purse
Denim Wallet
Making a Denim Wallet
Recycled Jeans Flower Pot
Recycled Jeans Planters
🎉
🎄