Company Review: Publix Grocery

I recently bought a food dehydrator and wanted to try beef jerky. I read the instructions and it said to use aged lean beef. I went to Publix Grocery (that was the closest to the motel) and asked what time they marked their meat down and was told they did not. I was puzzled because I thought all grocery stores marked down. They said it was company policy not to. They have to throw it away.

I won't shop Publix again, I find this very wasteful and terrible. They would rather throw food away than sell it cheaper. Funny thing is that I don't buy marked down often I shop the sales and will occasionally pick up marked down if something is in line with what I'm shopping for at the time. They just lost one customer due to greed.

By Notwrong

Shame on Publix, that's wasteful and unfriendly for the environment. Not to mention their customers. Makes for higher prices, I'm sure.

Hello, I would like to speak in defense of Publix. They do not mark down their food but they DO give it to non-profit kitchens where they feed the homeless.

I have friends who work for Publix and they give a LOT of food away everyday or so.

Many times we only know part of the story so please be careful to know the whole truth before you judge. Publix does not advertise this and most employees do not have this information.

Aged beef is not beef going out of date. Aged beef is a process done before it gets to the grocery store.

Many stores donate their soon-to -expire stuff to food banks and the like.

Our Publix outshines most stores in the donation department. They close their stores for Christmas and Easter. I haven't had a need as of yet, but they have a list of free oral prescription drugs, including Amoxicillin. Check out their website.

We all know we can get discounted meat at Walmart, but I'm afraid I can't associate the word "charitable" with that I can with Publix. Wonderful store. Hope you give them another try. Satisfied customer. :)

Publix donates to the food banks any food that is not sold.

Publix does not throw food away. It's all donated to local food banks and senior centers. Looks like you were not in your neighborhood. If you had a Publix in your own vicinity, you would know how charitable they are. Please research before you publish an indictment about anything.

When ever I have dealt with publix they were kind. If a store ever doesn't sell a food product because it is expired they are doing it for your safety. If you got sick on that meat you would be even more angry. I suggest either going to publix and asking what they do with the meat or go to a food bank. I get the majority of my food from local food banks.

I was most definately in a Pulbix Grocery store and I was most definately told by the meat market manager at that particular store that they throw the meat away. I was very surprised at this fact because usually there is no problem with aged beef - I do hesitate buying aged chicken due to potential problems. I was actually so surprised that I asked him again if that was true. He stated that it was store policy. If yours in your area does donate to food banks and the such then I am most happy but the one that I visited stated that the store policy was that they thow the meat away. Due to what I was told I will not visit that store again. If I am in the neighborhood for a grocery and publix is there I will ask the policy since it seems that they might have different policies. Thanks for letting me know that your store operates differntly and that this might not be a national chain policy.

Another Publix fan here--in our area, they DO give away food that is nearing the expiration date to soup kitchens and food banks.

So, rethink the "greed" aspect here. Rather than make a discounted buck on it, they're giving it away.

There's another large grocery chain nearby here in the South (that will remain nameless--but if you live in the South, you can probably guess which one it is) that does mark down meat close to expiration--except, I wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot-pole, slashed price or not--because you can practically smell the meat counter (and Lord knows what else) when you walk in the front door.

Sometimes a bargain--is really not a bargain.

man shopping
Company Review: Publix Grocery
Consumer Advice Company ComplaintsSeptember 4, 2009
couple reading canned food label at the market
Grocery Shopping Strategies
A Garden Journal
Keeping A Garden Journal
A woman looking at her shopping list.
Organizing Your Grocery List
architect working on a drawing at table with two others
Name Ideas for Architectural and Interior Design Company