Freezing Homemade Cream of Potato Soup - Categories:

SoupFreezing

Freezing Homemade Cream of Potato Soup

Can homemade cream of potato soup be frozen? It has cream of celery soup, milk, onion, carrots, ham and potatoes. Thank you in advance!

By jmz2005 from IL

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Yes, all kinds of soup can be frozen.

Anything CAN be frozen; the questionable part is its quality when it's defrosted. Frozen milk gets watery when it's defrosted, so you may have the same problem with the soup. Maybe you could add some half and half or cream when you reheat it to counteract that. Either way, it would still be edible.

If you have chunks of potato, they tend to get a little mushy and mealy when frozen. I personally would can the potato soup in a water bath canner. It's not hard to do. Debbie-Jenn

Care to share that Cream of Potato soup? Sounds lovely. Thanks.

Yes, I mash my potatoes and put them in. I make enough for 3 meals at a time. I freeze the extra for easy weeknight meals.

Thank you all for your help and advise. Here is the basic recipe, a adjust to whatever I have on hand at the time, or whatever my tastes are for that day.

3-4 potatoes, diced (can peel if desired)

diced onion (to taste)

1 can cream of soup (I have used chicken, celery, mushroom, all are good)

1 can chicken broth (can use water, just enough to cover potatoes)

hredded carrots, optional

evaporated milk (I didnt have any at time, so I mixed powdered milk, have also used 2% milk)

alt and pepper to taste

can add shredded cheddar cheese

Cook potatoes, carrots and onion in broth (or water) till potatoes are mushy. Do not drain. Add remaining ingredients, and heat thru (do not boil), stirring occasionally, and if using cheese, heat till cheese melts. I also added cheese to bowls after putting soup into them. Very easy, tasty, and can be frugal. If you want it a thinner soup, add more milk.

Thank you for all the responses. It has been put in freezer.

@ Debbie-Jenn : Water bath canning is only safe for acidic foods with pH < 4.6 (eg. peaches, apples, tomatoes + citric acid). For non-acidic foods, water bath canning does not get hot enough to prevent the growth of botulism. Use a pressure cooker to can non-acidic foods, it's the ONLY safe way!

July 31, 2011 Flag

Can I freeze potato soup? Is it safe?

By Peggy R.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Yoy most certainly can :-) Just be sure that if it is freshly made that it cools down a bit first and if it has been in your fridge for awhile just use common sense as to if it had been stored in there too long.

It would be safe but it might separate. On the other hand it might not. Try it and see. Either way it is safe.

I tried this and it was terrible!! So, I vote no. When I went to use the soup mit was very grainy.

Food and Recipes Freezing SoupApril 23, 2009
Irish Potato Soup
Irish Potato Soup Recipes
Valentine's ice cream sandwiches.
Ice Cream Cake Hearts
Bowl of cream of tomato soup garnished with chives.
Freezing Tomato Soup
Freezing Whipped Cream. Making Whipped Cream
Freezing Whipped Cream
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 20, 2016 at 10:44:21 PM on 10.0.1.163 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.