Removing a Windex Stain on Wood Table

I left a bottle of Windex on an oak table for awhile. When I picked up the bottle, now there's a stain on the table. How do I remove it?

By Laura from Jefferson City, MO

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

You probably removed the tables stain & finish, you'll most likely have to sand & re-finish the table's top, but you could possibly try Old English Furniture Polish Scratch Repair. It comes in Light & Dark depending on the color of your wood. But I suspect you'll need to refinish the whole table.

For water-marks on wood (that aren't very bad) some people recommend buffing with a blend of a cream toothpaste (NOT gel) mixed with cigarette ashes. You could try this, then use the Old English furniture polish afterwords. If you search ThriftyFun, you will find the exact directions.

Take some mayonnaise (yes, the type you put on your sandwiches), about a teaspoon or two usually does the trick. Dab it onto the stain and let it sit for 20 minutes or so and then wipe it off. It gets rid of most any water ring stains on nearly all types of wood, and it's cheap as well as being something that you may have pretty handy.

It isn't a stain. You removed the finish. You cannot use windex on wood. There was probably a drip down the outside of the bottle.

If it is like a water spot. I had great success refinishing an antique table with lots of spots. Mix toothpaste (I used a brand name baking soda and peroxide one) and baking soda. Place on spot and rub it out. I also like to use the Old English oils. Hope that helps.

Have you tried lemon oil?

On how clean is you house if wood is discolored. Kim and Aggie say to take some coffee weak or strong according to the darkness needed and wipe it on wood to put back the color. Hope this helps.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

table damaged by cleaner
Fixing Wood Furniture Damaged by Household Cleaners
Home and Garden Cleaning FurnitureApril 16, 2010
Bug Sprayed on Wood Table
Cleaning a Bug Spray Stain on Wood Table
Cup Stain on Wood
Removing Cup Rings from Wood Furniture
Cleaning up Mildew From Wood
Removing Mildew from Wood
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors, Broken glass of red wine on wood floor.
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 8, 2016 at 11:23:43 AM on 10.0.1.73 in 343 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.