Removing a Windex Stain on a Wood Table

Category Tables
Certain cleaning products intended for other uses can damage the finish on your furniture if they are accidentally used or spilled on it. This is a guide about removing a Windex stain on a wood table.

I left a bottle of Windex on an oak table for awhile. When I picked up the bottle, now there's a stain on the table. How do I remove it?

By Laura from Jefferson City, MO

Best Answer

Take some mayonnaise (yes, the type you put on your sandwiches), about a teaspoon or two usually does the trick. Dab it onto the stain and let it sit for 20 minutes or so and then wipe it off. It gets rid of most any water ring stains on nearly all types of wood, and it's cheap as well as being something that you may have pretty handy.

Best Answer

If it is like a water spot. I had great success refinishing an antique table with lots of spots. Mix toothpaste (I used a brand name baking soda and peroxide one) and baking soda. Place on spot and rub it out. I also like to use the Old English oils. Hope that helps.

You probably removed the tables stain & finish, you'll most likely have to sand & re-finish the table's top, but you could possibly try Old English Furniture Polish Scratch Repair. It comes in Light & Dark depending on the color of your wood. But I suspect you'll need to refinish the whole table.

For water-marks on wood (that aren't very bad) some people recommend buffing with a blend of a cream toothpaste (NOT gel) mixed with cigarette ashes. You could try this, then use the Old English furniture polish afterwords. If you search ThriftyFun, you will find the exact directions.

It isn't a stain. You removed the finish. You cannot use windex on wood. There was probably a drip down the outside of the bottle.

Have you tried lemon oil?

On how clean is you house if wood is discolored. Kim and Aggie say to take some coffee weak or strong according to the darkness needed and wipe it on wood to put back the color. Hope this helps.

How do I repair damage caused by Windex (white cloudy stain) on a fine dining room wood table top?

By Wayne R from Lisle, IL

Best Answer

Direct a hairdryer on the white spot/spots, then rub with a soft cloth. Don't hold the hairdryer too close to the table. You could damage the table finish further!

Thanks again

My son decided to clean my wood dining table with Windex and has ruined the finish. What can I do?

By Christine

Windex will surely ruin a wood surface. If your son is grown he can pay to have it refinished. The warnings are clearly on the lable. It will have to be finished, there is no other solution.