How do you remove spots from windows?

Our outside windows are filthy and nothing cleans them. I've tried the outdoor window cleaner, indoor, homemade with rubbing alcohol, newspapers, cleaning first and then window spray. They are still dirty. Some of them have little spots on them like dishes in the dishwasher get. Any suggestions? I'd love to have clean windows!

By Mindy

Here is just a complete out of the blue suggestion, but what if you soap the windows, or windex them and then try a paint scraper to remove the gunk? The kind with a razor blade in it.

Personally, I'm a 409 girl for my outside windows. I'd also try sudsy ammonia, but I don't know how it affects plants, children, pets. Try it with a stiff bristle brush. Good luck!

They may not be spots on the outside of the glass, but condensation between two panes of glass. This usually occurs if the seal between the panes is broken.

I would try spraying white vinegar on the windows and then rinse them. I find that white vinegar solves almost all of my problems. I sprayed the green mold on the side of my mobile home and then rinsed it and it looks like new. And, it will not harm plants, pets or kids. It will help keep the ants and bugs away.

Use Dawn dish soap in water and a squeegee. It is much easier to get things streakfree with a squeegee, and you will not have hardwater spots either.

If it is not just streaks on your windows, we need more details to give more help.

In the past, I've heard that kerosene will take off the spots you're talking about. After using the kerosene, you'll want to wash and dry your windows.

You most likely have mineral stains on the glass. Depending on the stage of damage, you may be able to fix it.

Try Never Dull first. I am a professional window polisher. If that does not work go to to order a product better suited for your chemical deposits.

June 12, 2010 Flag

How do you remove spots from windows? Not sure if it's hard water or just staining from never being cleaned.

Suzanne from Swansboro

How do you remove spots from windows?

Is it white spots? If so, it's probably calcium and hard water build up from the rain. Look for something like "CLR" bathroom cleaner made to remove hard water deposits. Use that first, then clean with any window cleaner. Should be nice and clear after that. (05/23/2007)

By NatesMom

How do you remove spots from windows?

While trying to earn extra money raising my children, I worked as a maid at a well known popular motel. They had great training and if they could find a way to save money so they could charge less to the customers they would. Here's the tip, put your hands in a bowl of warm water, then flick the water on the window afterward use a towel or t-shirt to polish the windows, and it can even be used on mirrors. (05/24/2007)

By Igmommy

How do you remove spots from windows?

There shouldn't be spots if you wipe them dry with newspaper. (05/25/2007)

By pamphyila

How do you remove spots from windows?

After cleaning with any window cleaner (Windex or diluted white vinegar and newsprint) moisten a thin, green scouring pad with same and scrub the stubborn spots with index finger pressure. They come right off. Wipe residue off with newsprint, then go back over with first process above. (08/27/2007)

By Reese

Home and Garden Cleaning WindowsJune 12, 2010
Cleaning Windows
Cleaning Lawn Service Chemicals from Windows
A woman stand in a room built using recycled windows.
Building with Recycled Windows
Installing a New Window
Hiring Someone to Replace Your Windows