Larger Nest for Baby Zebra Finches

I have a breeding pair of Zebra finches who have recently hatched a brood of 3 chicks. They are in a very confined small basket nest. Should I move them to a larger nest? They are about 8 days old and I'm afraid that as they grow one will fall from the nest or be accidentally pushed out.

Wanda from Calgary

Hi Wanda

First I would like to know is it a regular finch nest?

If it is then it will be fine. I like a deep nest so when they build it there is plenty room Here is one of my pictures there is plenty of room in it.

There is a smaller one but they do fine in it too

I don't know about finches but I do know that most birds will abandon their nest if you touch the nest before or after the eggs hatch.

I had a pair of finches that also laid a nest of eggs. When they hatched, the male finch killed all the babies. I would remove him right away, especially if the cage is crowded.

Hard call. Find a local breeder or bird club.

They need their combined body heat to keep each other warm until they get old enough.

If you change nests, handle them carefully. Make sure they don't get too much room and get separated from each other.

Use a larger nest for the next clutch. Make sure you have enough nesting material so that the mother can adjust the nest size to the brood size.

Pair of Zebra Finches on Perch
Breeding Zebra Finches
Pets BirdsMarch 16, 2009
Fledgling Beige Bengalese
Breeding Society Finches
Decorations and food on a table at a baby shower.
Baby Shower Ideas
Bengalese Finches
Breeding Bengalese Finches
People attending a baby shower.
Saving Money on a Baby Shower
🎉
🎄