Slow Banana Ripening

You can slow down the ripening process of bananas if you put them in the refrigerator in both a brown and a clear or white plastic bag. Two bags. Don't know why this works but it does. I noticed this when comparing the life the fruit in one bag or the other compared to two. When bananas get a little brown and soft they are too ripe for me and my father. This keeps the fruit fresh longer.

By suntydt from Tazewell, TN

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

We all need to take a page out of the book that many in the places where bananas grow, already know. It is just being discovered now that riper bananas, that are beginning to spot, have only then released the nutrients that will aid in preventing many diseases, and some cancers, and they are just beginning to find out how healthy that they really are for us.

Personally I haven't had luck doing this because the bananas become mushy after cooling them but it's okay because I just use them blended in a protein drink :-)

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

June 18, 2012 Flag

I recently read a tip on ThriftyFun about separating your bananas from the bunch to keep them from getting brown so quickly. As this is a common problem in our household, I tried it the next time I got bananas from Costco.

The first picture was taken just after we separated the bunch. I did wind up tearing one peel open but it was easily pawned off to one of my hungry boys. We had another bunch that we ate first, so we could leave these ones mostly alone. As you can see, they are pretty green still. Green Bananas

The second picture was taken almost a week later They are still a bit green on the edges but nicely yellow otherwise, with almost no brown spotting. The weather was not too warm and that might cause them to ripen faster in the height of the summer. I'm going to always separate them from now on. Ripe Bananas

Source: ThriftyFun

By Jessica from Hillsboro, OR

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Food and Recipes Food Tips FruitNovember 30, 2009
A ripe avocado cut in half.
Ripening an Avocado
Grapes, bananas, apples, kiwis, and oranges.
Ripening Fresh Fruit
Banana Split
Making a Banana Split
Sliced banana bread on a cutting board.
Freezing Banana Bread
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 5:25:40 PM on 10.0.2.135 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.