Making Christmas Tree from Old Phone Book

Does anyone remember making Christmas trees out of old telephone books?

Kat

Boy, I sure do! I haven't thought about that in years. Only, I don't think we used phone books - too many pages where I grew up. We used magazines, but I am sure it is the same process.

Happy Holidays!

So how is it done? Does anyone know how to do it, or does anyone have a picture of it?

thanks!

I thought we had instructions here on ThriftyFun but haven't been able to find them. Here are some instructions but they don't have a picture of a finished one:

http://www.robe … hristmastree.htm

I remember making them from Reader's Digest Magazines. Back then I only liked the jokes anyway. Here is a website with instructions to do it

http://www.rd.c … -christmas-tree/

although I recollect also folding up the bottom to make the "tree stand" and then painting it brown or black. But the solid gold looks nice too.

Like the other responder, our telephone books were too large for such a craft.

I am sure I remember making a different variation of this in grade school. We did use a magazine, but we cut out the shape of pine tree branches - like a flat half of a tree. Then when you folded it back on itself it fanned out and looked like a tree (with no trunk of course, or it would fall over LOL). I remember it was spray painted gold as well.

Tina - Oshawa, ON

For Mia, who wanted to know how this was done: you simply fold the pages, including the covers, in half on the diagonal(top left corner to bottom right corner). When completed the front and back covers were taped together and it formed a cone shape. Then we would spray paint them green, then add glitter, those little lick-and-stick stars, etc.... Always a little gold star on top. These were made with the old Reader's Digests which had square pages made of thick paper and cardboard covers. I don't think any of today's magazines would work. If you know of one that would please post it. I'd love to make one of these again!

I remember doing this with Reader's Digests in school, but we made them into Angels instead of trees. You just put a foam ball for the head and a pipe cleaner halo and some sort of wings.