Storing Peanut Butter Upside Down

I have read that people will turn their natural peanut butter jars upside down (and store it that way in the cabinet) so that when the time comes to open the jar, they don't have to mix it. I did that and, after opening and refrigeration, found the oil had risen to the top again. Just to be on the safe side, I put my jar back in the fridge in a bowl, upside down and cap tightly screwed on, to see if the oil would rise to the top and re-mixing the rock hard, cold peanut butter would not be required.

Well, I am happy to report that storing it in the fridge upside down has caused the PB oil to rise to the top (which is the bottom of the jar) and this produces a slightly lower fat product. When I get to the oily part on the bottom of the near empty jar, I remove it and use the jar to the end.

I would suggest that you check the consistency of the PB at the very bottom of the jar, as it sometimes needs a smidge of the oil mixed back in to become pliable. To date, none of the PB upside down jars have leaked. However, if you share the PB with other family members, they may not be as cautious as you by tightening the lid.

By Holly from Richardson, TX

Or you could just dump the oil out BEFORE you refrigerate, then mix and put in the fridge. If you dump the oil out but leave a tiny bit, it's enough to keep it soft but takes out a lot of the oil. If you mix before you refrigerate it stays fairly soft, so that you don't have to stir when you take out of the fridge.

I have a foolproof method for keeping peanut butter from separating that works: When you open a new jar of nut butter, transfer the contents to a bowl and mix with a sturdy spoon. Return mixture to the original jar, cover, and refrigerate. It will never separate again! I've been doing this for more than 20 years No need to turn the jar upside down.

Chef Rachel Albert-Matesz, The Healthy Cooking Coach

www.TheGardenOfEatingDiet.com

peanut butter
Storing Peanut Butter
Food and Recipes StorageJanuary 15, 2007
Jar of peanut butter surrounded by peanuts.
Homemade Peanut Butter Recipes
Growing Tomatoes Upside Down
Growing Tomatoes Upside Down
Muffin Tin Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Muffin Tin Pineapple Upside Down Cake Recipes
Upside Down Cake
Upside Down Cake Recipes
🎉
🎄