Can My Son Receive SSI?

My son is 2 years old and his father has just passed. What benefits can I receive for him?

By Kanequa B. from NC

Best Answer

You can contact the Social Security Administration (there should be one listed in your local phone book), or check online. SSI is for people who are disabled, you are needing to ask about survivors/dependents benefits.

Best Answer

Here is the SSA link to give you the information you need for your son:

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10085.html

But you also need to read additional survivor information at this link to make sure you/your son meet all of the rules of qualification:

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10084.html

If you and your son qualify be sure to have everything prepared as best as you can and take it to your local social security office to apply.

You should contact the Social Security Administration in whatever state you live in. Look in the back of the phone book to find the number. SSI is for the handicapped and you need medical proof of the child being handicapped. You need to see about survivers benefits.

You need to contact the Social Security Administration. Children that have had a parent pass away qualify for survivors benefits. When you contact SSA they will be able to tell you exactly what you need to do to apply for the benefits.

Kanaqua... my condolences on your loss. It's tough, especially with such a little one. However, I really don't think you mean SSI. That's Supplemental Security Income, which is based on your total household income. I don't know about your area or whether it's nationwide, but it was $900 for me. I didn't qualify. As everyone here has said, you need to talk to someone at Social Security. They can explain what your little fellow qualifies for and how to apply.

God bless you and your little one... JPJ

Childs cupped hands holding coins
Will My Child Receive SSI?
Business and Legal LegalMay 21, 2011
Colorful Tissue Paper
Reusing Tissue Paper
older blind woman sitting on a bench
Receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
Padded Envelope on White Background
Reusing Mailing Supplies
A boy scout looking at a compass.
Organizing Tips for Parents of Boy Scouts
🎉
🎄