Browsing: Recipes Using Oatmeal

Looking for Healthy Oatmeal Recipes

Does anybody have any creative oatmeal recipe ideas that does NOT involve sugar or flour? Meaning no oatmeal cookies, bars or bread. I want to start incorporating oatmeal in our daily diet but plain oatmeal for breakfast gets kind of boring.

I would like to stay away from sugar and refined white flour if at all possible since that defeats the purpose of trying to be healthy. I would be willing to use a little honey, fruit preserve or Splenda to sweeten it if necessary. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

pookie

P.S. To the wonderful person (I forgot who) who posted the tip on Thrifty some time back on putting fruit preserves in oatmeal to sweeten it, thank you! It was a wonderful idea.

Editor's Note: I believe the tip you are referring to is here: Sweeten Oatmeal With Jam

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

I actually posted this as an answer on Jan 5 of this year. "Would you believe I make Oatmeal Soup. I was trying to think of a way to eat oatmeal without sugar and I decided to try cooking it in chicken bouillon (or broth) with garlic powder. Sometimes I add mushrooms and sometimes I add green beans. But I usually don't add anything but the garlic powder. My son loves oatmeal and was afraid to try it....when he tasted it, he loved it!I like it cooked thick (like regular oatmeal) or thin (soupy). I'd be curious if anyone else has tried this :) " But...I'm not kidding, I love this stuff.

Best Answer

My 6-year-old son and I mash one banana and add it after the oatmeal is cooked. Just mix it in and serves. It tastes great!

Best Answer

I cook 1/4 cup of oatmeal with a little water. Microwave for 2 minutes.

Then I take out and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and cinnamon. I know it sounds different, but it's fabulous..and good for you.

Best Answer

I use oatmeal in my meatballs and meatloaf instead of breadcrumbs works great and nobody can tell the difference.

Best Answer

Oatmeal pancakes or waffles. So good!

Blend:

1/2 cup oatmeal

1/4 cup low fat cottage cheese

2 eggs

dash of nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla extract

This is a great recipe You've got to try it, and if you don't like cottage cheese don't worry, you can't taste it. It's all smoothed in the blender too. Add extras if you want like banana, blueberries, sometimes I put in chocolate chips and that is great too. Hope you enjoy!

Best Answer

This recipe is from Elle Krieger

1/2 cup old fashioned oats

1 cup water

1 pinch of salt (optional)

1/8-1/4 cup of dried cherries (you can use any other dried fruit, but just make sure you get similar sugar free jam)

2 tbs Sugar Free berry preserves

2 tsp Vanilla Extract

Just cook the oats as directed on container with dried fruit. Add salt if desired. Then when oats are done cooking, turn off heat and add the jam and vanilla extract. Stir a few times to combine and then serve.

I have this for breakfast everyday and it's delicious! it's sweet so you don't feel deprived, but also so good for you. It's the perfect way to start off the day.

Best Answer

I tried making oatmeal the other night, using chicken broth. I added some cooked mushrooms and a little diced cooked chicken. It seemed a little odd, thinking about it, but it was really good. I'd like to try it with the steel cut oats, as opposed to the rolled oats. Oatmeal isn't something people think of, other than as a breakfast cereal, but really, it's just a neutral grain. You can do anything you want with it.

Yes! That was the post. Thanks Editors for finding that. It was great advice. I don't like flavored oatmeal because of how expensive it is and also because of all the extra stuff they put in. Putting in fruit preserves allowed me to control how sweet it was and leaves out the other unnecessary bad stuff while still getting a sweet fruity flavor.

pookie

Luvyabye, wow...that certainly is unusual. Thanks so much for the tip. I definitly have to try that. It DOES sound crazy tho....but I definitly gotta try it out.

pookie

It's actually a very versatile food. In addition to adding fruit preserves to breakfast oatmeal, you can add apple butter or peanut butter to make a change. Or you can try the following recipe. It serves one but you can multiply it for however many servings you need. (It is also a great way to use extra bananas):

1/2 Cup Oatmeal, Quick or old fashioned

Pecans (a few) - optional

Cinnamon, to taste

Dash Nutmeg, to taste

1/4 Cup Nonfat Dry Milk, scant

Brown Sugar Or Honey, to taste

1/2 Medium Banana

1 Cup Water

Combine in microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 2 minutes.

If you want to have homemade "Instant" oatmeal, just mix the dry ingredients and store on the shelf. Then add the wet portion when you are ready to cook. Label the jar or container with instructions.

You can also include oatmeal as the binder when you make meat loaf. You can use it for almost anything you would use breadcrumbs for. If you need it in smaller texture, give it a few spins in the blender or food processor. If you need it seasoned, as for coating something, just season it as you would fresh breadcrumbs.

That's great, Pookie. Let me know what you think after you try it. I've used beef broth (from a roast) and ham drippings to make it....also delicious.

I make my boys oatmeal apple pie:

One serving oatmeal (any kind)

Applesauce, UNSWEETENED~as much as you can stand!

Mix in cinnamon/splenda or just plain cinnamon, then sprinkle on top.

No sugar added, even the splenda is ommitted most of the time! We do the same with ripe banana too. I personally must have brown sugar ;)

using a blender:

12-16oz skim/1% milk

15g vanilla protein powder

1 pack of quaker weight control instant oatmeal (cinnamon or maple & brown sugar) it has splenda/no sugar

then either throw in some smucker's natural peanut butter or some frozen berries (raspberries is my fav)

then last throw in a couple ice cubes.

this really is good!

http://www.recipezaar.com/199281

http://www.recipezaar.com/34134

There are two that I actually found just last night. I love that site! Don't go by their nutritional info, though...it's way off. I'm going to make it for breakfast this morning, using one packet of oatmeal a serving of peaches and splenda. Hope that helps!

Okay... Roman Meal makes phenomenal oatmeal. I use the Oats,Bran and Flax blend and it is my favorite thing in the world. Add 1/3 cup milk or chocolate soy milk, 1/2 cup water, microwave for 2-2 1/2 min on high. Then add a packet of equal, dash of real cinnamon, and chopped fresh strawberries, blackberries or raspberries and mix up. It is the tastiest thing ever! You'll want it every morning. So healthy, high in fiber, and DELICIOUS! Better than old-fashioned oats and quaker.

I cook old fashioned oatmeal, (better for you than instant) cut up one banana, sprinkle cinnamon, and 1/2 teaspoon of sugar, mix it all in when its still hot, its really good and sweet enough that you don't feel like its too healthy. Or I sub the bananas with Motts apple sauce (I dont do sugar free sauces, because I end up adding sugar to it, at least this way you know exactly how many calories if you just read the label, you can have a ton and have barely any calories.) PS- old fashioned oatmeal will keep you full way longer than instant oatmeal.

In a saucepan, I mix the dry oatmeal, water, apples (small and finely sliced), and raisins.

Follow directions on oatmeal box to cook...delicious!

I make "scrapple" with oatmeal. You can find many different recipes for scrapple online. You fry it, can be for any meal.

Oatmeal and Recipe Ingredients
Recipes Using Oatmeal
Food and Recipes Recipes AdviceJanuary 20, 2005
A bowl of oatmeal.
Saving Money On Oatmeal
Peanut Butter Oatmeal
Peanut Butter Oatmeal Recipes
Healthy Crockpot Recipes
Healthy Crockpot Recipes
oatmeal with strawberries and blueberries
Homemade Oatmeal Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 26, 2016 at 7:14:50 PM on 10.0.1.54 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.