Tips for Altering Curtains

Category Home Decor
Altering Curtains
When adjusting curtains or drapes for a window you plan to hang them on, you can be challenged to get the perfect fit. This is a guide about altering curtains.

This is my first time on here, and I really hope someone can help. I'm altering a pair of drapes, and the old hem line is now showing, but I can't get the old ironed line mark out.

Look forward to any replies.

Leanne from Melb, Vic

I've always used about half and half white vinegar and water sprayed on to remove creases. However, this site says to use the vinegar full strength. Hope this helps: http://www.jack  com/cleaning.htm

I use a damp pressing cloth and it works absolutely everytime. It will save your fabric from getting shiney.

I was looking at BHG.com and they have drapes that are quite popular now with a band of a colored or patterned fabric added to the bottom. They are so attractive and add a little pick-me-up to drapes you already own or make new. Might be worth the thought!

Sew a decorative trim over the top.....bias tape, matching strip of fabric. If you have a decorative stitch sewing machine, do a decorative stitch in a color to match your room. If you have no sewing machine, all is not lost. Do the same decorating with no sew glue. It works fine.

Is there a way to cover the pinholes made in the thermal backing when altering draperies?

By Donna from AZ

You could sew a matching piece of fabric over the area with the pinholes; or you could try closing the holes. It depends on what the thermal backing is made of. If it's a flexible plastic or rubber, you might be able to use the tip of an iron to melt the holes closed-you'll have to be REALLY careful not to scorch the material, though. Use a low heat and work your way up to just hot enough to melt the backing enough to close the holes.

If the backing is a fabric type, you should be able to fuse iron-on mending tape over the holes if you don't want to sew another piece of fabric over the holes.

But I'm wondering about the need to cover the pinholes at all. They shouldn't show since it's a backing, and the presence of the pinholes shouldn't interfere with the thermal properties of the backing due to the small size of pinholes.

I suggest white out, thick paint or nail polish applied with a toothpick just on the pinhole. I would do it on the back side but try to match the front side. Just FYI, I have used masking tape to "pin" rubber backed curtains. I did get holes from the machine sewing, though.