Asking People to Bring Frugal Gifts

My daughter is expecting her first child in April. Her friend wants to throw her a baby shower. However, my daughter, her friend, and most of the people being invited to the shower are students. My daughter is concerned about her friends spending too much money, but of course, she'd still like to have the baby shower. Can anyone suggest a possible wording of the shower invitation that will encourage her friends to be frugal and not overspend?

Cheryl from Deshler, OH

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

In this ecomony I doubt it would be a worry. If I were to attend a shower I would probably visit the local dollar store and cram as much as I could into one of their $1 gift bags. Its handy things and I could get more too.. and its a fun thing to do. Lately I havent went to birthday parties etc for the fact of being low in funds. We are in Michigan and the jobless rate is

10 percent.

"In the way of gifts, bring your most creative creation or purchase for the baby that costs under $25.00. Let's have a fun, but thrifty shower."

Suggest that people go together to buy gifts. Or at a friends baby shower, a lot of her baby items came from yard sales. She suggested that her friends shop for like new clothes at yard sales. Newborns recieve so many clothes that they outgrow a lot of them never get worn. By letting her friends know that it doesn't matter if they are new or gently used, she recieved much more than she would have if everything had been bought new. Used baby furnitures is usually a very good buy .

You could ask everyone to contribute a small amount of money (specify an amount you think is fair), and then you could spend it on something you really need for the baby. Good luck.

All who attend will be invited to contribute toward the purchase of (one big item named), rather than individual gifts. (slip enclosed with information on how to get money to a person leading this thing).

I suggest gift baskets where each item is 1.00 or less! Give a cool prize for the cutest, the most functional, the most creative, etc.

That way, you get a lot of cool things and everyone has fun spending a little bit of money.

Spell it out in the invitation! Nothing over a certain $ amount. Mention about the yard sales - the other person said! Like new - Lots more stuff if you just spell it out!

1)Suggest that all gifts be bought at the dollar store.

2)Say there will be a large decorated basket or box, and everyone is requested to bring something to put in it as their gift (baby shampoo, powder, a box of diapers, a package of washcloths, etc.)--they'll get the hint.

3)I don't think it would be rude to specify that no gift should cost over $5 (or whatever amount you think is fair), since everyone is a student.

4)Write a note that so-and-so needs a crib, high chair, or whatever, and you are requesting donations of any size be made to a specific person. She'll buy the gift and have the card for everyone to sign. (When I got married, a group of my school friends did this. They all went together and bought us a grill.)

5)Suggest a casserole shower, where everyong brings a frozen casserole to put in the freezer. After the baby is born, the parents wouldn't have to worry about cooking for a couple of weeks--a great gift.

6)Throw a diaper shower. Everyone brings a box of disposable diapers as their gift. (If the parents work, daycare will only use diposables, and they can be costly.)

I have been invited to alot of baby showers where we were asked to either buy diapers, or things baby would need, like shampoo, formula, or diaper rash cream, which always come in handy. To make it interesting, everyone chose a different theme (bathtime, dinner time, sleep) and chose a thoughtful gift. The focus was always on every-day object, rather than clothes or big-ticket items. This way, everyone is able to contribute.

Have a hand-me-down shower. Most girls know someone with an infant. They could ask friends or relatives for a newborn hand-me-down to gift. We all know they will be almost brand new. Sometimes, never even used. No money involved for gifts, how easy is that?

Holidays and Parties Gifts AdviceFebruary 4, 2009
A couple opening wedding gifts.
Registering for Wedding Gifts
Asking for Money as a Gift
Asking for Money as a Gift
A girl with her prom date.
Asking a Guy to Prom
female hand shaving legs
Asking Your Parents to Let You Shave
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 30, 2017 at 4:31:30 AM on 10.0.0.246 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.