Painting a Room Quickly

I am starting a new job soon. I have 3 small children. I told my son I would paint his new room for him. The house is old. The ceilings are popcorn. I only have 4 days to fix his room. I'm in way over my head. Any suggestions for a quick fix? Please help! I don't want to disappoint him.

Jenny from NC

If you are painting, go with latex paint...that way you don't have to use primer and it dries pretty quickly. Paint and a few new things on the walls (check Wal-mart or Target) can make a huge difference. Maybe even new curtains or an area rug. Check the decorating part of the site, there are a million great ideas and tips.

Invest in an edge trimmer. It is flat with wheels on the side. handle on back allows you to roll paint closely to the edge without getting it where you don't want it.

Get a really fluffy roller & some sponge corner painters. Do all your corners first. The fluffy roller will do your popcorn ceiling & an ordinary one for the walls. You can get most of these at a dollar store.

Talk with your local paint store clerk...they can show you the codes on each paint chip that will let you know if tinted primer is needed for complete coverage...usually lighter colors are safer as long as you are painting over a light color...but not always! Also, if you are doing alone...you may want to do the cutting all at once, then paint. Always seems like cutting takes the longest. (painting along ceilings, floors, around doors and windows)

Why don't you just paint one wall in a color your

child will like....for an accent...good luck

My advice: just do it! It's really easy to put off a job like this (I should know, I've been procrastinating on painting my spare bedroom for a month!). But I've made a date with myself (this weekend) and I've broken the job done into parts: first, buy all the supplies. Then tape off and prep the walls. Next, paint the ceilings. Then the walls. There! I'm all done! And don't worry about the job being perfect. I'm sure your son won't be too critical. Good luck!

Speaking from experience, I'd do the the fastest and easiest way. If you use a paint pad you'll have less mess and cleanup will be much easier. Plus, if you have to stop painting for a while you can cover the container with a plastic bag or Siran Wrap and set it up high...out of the reach of little fingers. The paint or the paint pad will not dry out and you can pick up right where you left off.

I would use a good quality semi-gloss latex paint so you can easily wash the walls, saving money and time for several years to come.

The ceiling is the hardest part. If it's not too bad, I'd skip that for now because you have enough to do with the children and getting the walls painted. You can always do the ceiling later.

Measure the walls...the height and width...before you buy the paint. Someone in the paint department will tell you how much paint you need.

Use your imagination. Paint the walls a color you child likes. Maybe use 2 different colors, or a lighter shade of the same color on 3 walls.

Whatever you do, don't worry about perfection. You promised to paint the walls...paint them. You can add decorations and finishing touches later. It might be fun to take your son shopping for a few things to decorate his room with after you get it painted. Something special to do with him!

Painting can be fun or it can be work...depending on how you look at it. Make it fun!

I use the edge trimmer as well and it really does make the job faster! Also, I just purchased a large area rug for my daughter at Walmart for 17.86. It has a castle and flowers on it, but they had ones for boys too, with "roads" and things on it. That with some cute curtains and maybe a theme lamp and he should be set!

Popcorn ceilings are often asbestos. You need to find out. If it is, it needs to be removed by hazmat professionals. At any rate, don't try to paint it or mess with it until you know.

What I've learned from painting:

- Cover all carpet and furniture with a cheap drop cloth. You WILL spatter paint on things. Anchor drop cloth with heavy items (old books, stones) so it isn't blown around by your walking around. I like to remove all furniture from a room if it's just a bedroom. A typical 10'x10' bedroom shouldn't take more than 6 hours of actual painting time. Then add in "prep time" (removing furniture, masking off) and clean up time (removing tape if you masked off, cleaning brushes, putting furniture back in).

- If you tape off molding, use the good blue tape. It won't tear or leave a residue like manila tape.

- Buy a $15 brush for "cutting in" around edges of moldings, windows and in corners. It's worth it. A good brush also means you don't have to mask off those areas.

- Use a roller for painting wide areas (the walls).

- Paint edges of items first (moldings, windows, between walls and ceiling) THEN do the walls. I've tried the other way around (doing corners last) but it doesn't look right for some reason.

- Listen to the radio or music while you paint. Keep all distractions away if possible.

Oh yes! I forgot about the paint pad. They work really great for trim, just don't get any paint on those little wheels. I use a paint pad for trim and then a roller for the rest.

Speaking as someone who has worked in the paint department, I have the following tips.

1. Invest in good brushes and rollers. Cheap rollers will deposit lint on the wall, and cheap brushes leave brush marks. You'll find yourself dipping for more paint twice as often, too.

2. Always prime. Primer costs half as much as good paint, and can be tinted, so it will do double-duty as primer and as your first coat of paint. One coat of primer and one coat of paint will look better than two coats of paint.

3. Paint the ceiling first. Don't bother cutting in or taping the ceiling, just do the edge quickly, and then fill in quickly. This doesn't take any more than a couple hours, even for novices. Then, paint the walls second, and carefully cut in or tape your edges.

Couple Painting a Room Quickly
Painting a Room Quickly
Home and Garden Home Improvement PaintingOctober 25, 2005
Installing Crown Molding, Crown Molding Ready to be Installed
Installing Crown Molding
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Painting Over Wallpaper, Vintage Peeling Wallaper
Painting Over Wallpaper
Room With Many Doors
Decorating a Room With Many Doors
🎄