Toning Down Brightly Painted Wall

I painted one wall in my daughter's room in 4 brightly colored repeating stripes and need to tone down the color. Any suggestions?

Sheri from Chicago, Illinois

You can try to sponge over the wall with a mixture of glaze and a cream color paint. Or you can color wash on the lightest of the colors you used. Say you painted on a bright pink, color wash with the lightest pink you can find, and so on.

If you have enough of your original colors, you can add some white paint to the original paint, and that will lighten it up, and then you can sponge it on. Sometimes different colors of, say, pink will clash with each other because the undertones are different. Using the same color as the base will keep this from happening. You can use this mixed with glaze as a faux finish over the original. I've just done this in my kitchen, actually!

Home and Garden Home Improvement PaintingNovember 5, 2007
A woman doing leg curls.
Toning Your Buns and Thighs
Young boy sitting on a step ladder cleaning a wall.
Homemade Wall Cleaner Recipes
White painted kitchen cabinets.
Cleaning Painted Cabinets
Painted Chinese furniture.
Cleaning Painted Wood Furniture
🎄