Green Salad Preparation

I like to serve a salad every night with dinner but hated the preparation time. Now I make a large salad once a week. Put in a large tupperware bowl with cover. Cover the salad with ice cold water, put lid on and keep in fridge. You can use anything except tomatoes. When we are ready to serve, I take enough out for 2 servings, lay it on paper towel, pat it to remove excess moisture. Now we have a nice fresh, healthy salad every night. Each time you take salad out, wipe the inside lid off and change water every 3 days. I got this tip from a salad chef who had been doing this for years.

By June from Toronto, Canada

I can see the reasoning for making your salad in advance but keeping it in cold water is NOT a real answer IMHO. You don't buy salad that has been stored in water. Just look at your prepared mixes in the veggie section. I can see making salad ahead for two or three days but keeping it in water is a THUMBS down way of doing things.

Eloise,

I have worked in Restaurants 30 years of my life, hands on. Apparently they think this is a thumbs up way to store salad greens up to a week, and this is a real answer for some. Prepared mixes don't have room for the water and if did you would pay more for the extra weight in shipping.

The discarded water might be good for soup.

THUMBS down on critically judging something you've never tried. I like the idea and plan to use it. All the prepared salad mixes I buy are limp and tough when purchased. They NEED to be soaked in water to make them edible! Thanks, June, for a very good tip!

I make mine with green lettuce, shredded carrots, sliced red peppers, sliced onions, sliced red cabbage----everything except tomatoes and cucumbers which I add when serving. It is mixed in a big bowl and then put into a gallon sized ziplock with a plain white paper towel folded in half on the bottom. I then zip it almost closed, insert a drinking straw and suck out all the air while I finish zipping. Salad stays fresh for a long time and has no added chemicals like the mixes bought in the store.

I am in the process of opening a produce and fruit wholeseller, and we will also prepare food. Please, let me know what are the most popular green vegetables to sell. I have my own list, but I am open to suggestions since I want to really reflect what people prefer and add upon these. I would appreciate if you post them here or send them to my personal e-mail.

This will be of a great help coming from you guys.

Miixed opinion on the water:

Some say water leeches out the good contents of the leaf and causes cell breakdown on the leaf exterior. However, a lot of people have strong opinions about their own methods and i find the constant stress on drying the leaf totally and then rapping it always leaves me with wilting leaves. whereas when I submerge any of my eaves in water at the first sign of wilt and leave them for a while then they find their vitality again.'

I think the truth is to experiment and it may be that its a mixture of both - a balance between crisp and dry and a good cold bath every now and then which prolongs the life of leaves

Food and Recipes Food Tips VegetablesMarch 30, 2006
Canning Green Beans, Freezing Green Beans, Growing Green Beans, Storing Green Beans, Drying Green Beans
Storing Green Beans
baby sleeping by grass
Setting Up a Green Nursery
Freezing Green Beans
chopping green onions
Chopping Green Onions
🎄