Hiding Places for Cash at Home

There are times we need cash for various purchases but don't want to make a trip to the bank or pay charges at a cash machine. I don't like carrying cash every day but want it hidden in a safe spot in my home. I came up with a few good hiding places so the cash isn't all in one spot:

• Inner pocket of a shirt or jacket never worn but can't bring self to get rid off (come on, we all have at least one of those). ;-)

• Between pages of a book no one will likely pick up to read.

• Inside a non-matched sock placed randomly under the matched socks.

• In the toe of a pair of shoes rarely worn.

• Between the padding and cover of the ironing board.

• Between the picture and cardboard backing of a favorite framed photo.

Hope you all share your ideas and, of course, you really should tell someone you trust of your hiding places 'just in case'. ;-)

By Deeli from Richland, WA

Top Comment

This reminds me of my rather eccentric sister keeping her stash in a "non see through" container in the freezer. She called it her cold cash fund

Top Comment

Just be careful - a lot of those places (shirt not worn, shoes not worn, book no one likely to read, etc) sound like great candidates for the Goodwill box during a de-cluttering bash. It would be so easy to donate/throw the items away without checking to see if there is $ in them. I keep some cash on the bottom of the basket where I keep under my undies and some in a board game.

Top Comment

Some great ideas, but after seeing a relative lose quite a few bucks from her various cash stash places, due to a house fire, I picked up the smallest fireproof locking cash box I could find.

We have a lot of books, with some of them sitting double on the shelving; the cashbox is hidden on a back row, with books piled under, in front and on the sides of it.

It's a little work to get to the money, but it also helps me to stay "hands off!" whenever tempted to dip into it, and it's more secure from fire or water disaster.

Top Comment

This all sounds great but the older couple we bought our house from about 2 years ago forgot many of their hiding places. In the first six months we found a few $50 bills tucked under the drawer liners in the kitchen, under some rugs left in the laundry room, and in the baking soda box left in the refrigerator, but the biggest find was $600 dollars between the carpet and the pad in the bedroom.

When I called the previous owner to let her know we had found such a large sum of money she simply could not remember what that money was for and who may have put it there. She proposed we keep it because at the time we had a baby on the way. And didn't we all learn a lesson from the story out of the east coast this summer when the daughter tried to do a good thing for her mother and buy her a new mattress but little did she know there was 1 million dollars stuffed in the old mattress!

I hide mine in with my feminine products. Most people won't go near those!

Some of these are good hiding places. I especially like the idea of hiding it in the ironing board, but I would never hide money in a book. I once bought a box of books at an auction and found $850.00 between the pages. Needless to say that's a hiding place I'll never forget.

Thanks for the new ideas for hiding places. I once found more than $200 in a box of bandaids. The money had been there so long, I had forgotten I hid it there!

Great ideas. Thanks. Can also put in the freezer, hidden in the back.

I hide mine in an empty mayonnaise jar that I painted the inside a cream color. I'm careful to not damage the outside label. I have another extra jar in the pantry too, can't tell the difference between them.

This is the best one yet! A person won't accidentally throw out a fake "full" mayonnaise jar, or take it to the goodwill.

I love these ideas. I keep mine in the bottom of a wastebasket under the bag and again under another bag that I keep in the bottom to replace the bag I'm using. I like the ironing board cover idea the best.

I like the freezer idea too!

I keep some of my extra money in a empty box of contraceptive pills. No one would guess.

I love the one about hiding cash admidst feminine products. Super clever!! I guess you could remove the stuffing from tampon tubes and hide large bills in there too.

Be careful - tell your next of kin about your hiding place. A friend was clearing out his deceased aunt's house. Her books did not look very interesting, so they were destined for the bin. He spotted one book that he would like to read and pulled it out. Lots of banknotes fell out. Every one of the books turned out to be stuffed with money between the pages. All of that cash was almost thrown in the recycling bin.

My aunt hid cash in her freezer, wrapped in foil and labelled with a food label, like hamburger patty

Money hidden in a china sugar pot.
Hiding Valuables
Better Living Safety HomeAugust 12, 2009
Woman Buying Car
Car Loan vs. Paying Cash
girl looking at a pimple
Hiding a Pimple
Scavenger Hunt for Gifts
Planning a Scavenger Hunt for Gifts
Paying with Cash instead of a Card
Paying with Cash instead of a Card
🎄