Feeding a Diabetic Cat

My ten year old tortoise shell cat has just been diagnosed with diabetes and needs insulin injections twice a day. I can handle that, but she needs a diet free from vegetable protein and sugars. Has anyone else had this problem? can you share your feeding plan with me?

Sandra from Ireland

i would suggest doing some research on the raw food diet

this page has alot of links on the subject ( dont be put off by the name, its directed at evolutionarily appropriate diets for all pet animals)

also, if you really dont want to go that way

is great too

i would highly recommend the raw diet too.

your vet may have objections to this, but it would be a really good idea for you to do your own research as most vets have only a few hours of nutrition education ( i think it is also optional?), mostly funded by pet food companies, so alot of the information they are given is highly biased.

hope this helps your kitty :)

You should be able to get special food through your vet. I had my kitty-cat on something called DM, but I don't remember who made it. Also, I used to give her boiled chicken, canned salmon (be careful of the added salt though), and the vet said baby food meat would be good. You must get the kind that is nothing but meat though--no veggies added. Her favorite was veal!

Thanks Neko and Jennifer for your feedback - lots of food for thought there and I think its going to take a while to get a handle on this situation! So far so good she seems to be responding.

Diabetic Cat
Feeding a Diabetic Cat
Pets CatsMay 22, 2006
Baby Bottle Feeding
Bottle Feeding Your Baby
Apple Pie
Diabetic Apple Pie Recipes
Making Diabetic Powdered Sugar (Sugar Free)
Blueberry Pie
Diabetic Blueberry Pie